• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

basking bulb question

TE GU-RU

5 Year Member
hello all, me again.

i was wondering if you could put a 100 watt basking bulb in a 75 watt fixture?

i have it for now and it seems to be extremely bright but the pet store i went to to get a 75W was sold out so i got the 100.

are there any dangers for fire if left on for an 8 hr period or more?

thanks

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lamps are rated for safty, if it says not to use a bulb above 75Watts dont do it. Especially if its the plastic kind. If the socket is plastic (meaning the backing to the socket) and not porciline do not, i repeat do not use a 100watt bulb. It will melt, worse is it could sort the wires and start a fire.

TE GU-RU

5 Year Member
the whole light fixture is ceramic, the only plastic i see is the wires coming out of it, which are not tight in there, there is room for them to be wiggled around.

i bought the light at petco, so.....

idk if that makes any difference

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wouldnt chance it, especially because of the lenght of time its going to be on for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu