• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Barely Keeping It Together...

G

So as some of you know, The Boyfriend and I were getting our new tegus from Bobby today. He called us Sunday night, to ask what the weather was going to be like here in Sacramento, CA, on Tuesday. I told him that since I have the whole week off, we'd prefer to err on the side of caution and just have me pick the little ones up from the Post Office. He said he'd call on Monday (yesterday) with our tracking number.

Well The Boyfriend called Bobby up this morning, asking about the tracking number, and was given one. Shortly after that, the Post Office called, stating that the package had arrived. After about 20 minutes of some inept worker there stating that the package WASN'T there, they finally found it, and we were on our happy way home.

We got home, placed the box on the table, and grabbed the video camera. I carefully opened the box as The Boyfriend filmed the process. As I undid the pillowcase they were in, I noticed a strong, unpleasant smell, and saw that there was a lot of feces inside (I didn't know if that was normal or ABnormal, so I didn't think anything of it at first). The little ones were all chilled and curled up, but immediately started flicking their tongues at everything once we got them out. The Boyfriend was holding his All American, and I was cuddling my B/W. They were so beautiful!

That's when I noticed that something was wrong...

...the B/W's back was broken.

There was a large bulge in front of the base of his tail, and everything after that bulge was simply lifeless. He wasn't moving the last half of his body at all. I placed him on the table to watch him walk, and it was one of the most pitiful sights that I've ever seen. He was dragging himself around by his forelegs, and hitching from side to side with the effort. My heart dropped into my stomach at the sight. We called Bobby immediately, and left a message, and in the meantime tried to warm the little guy up, hoping, that a miracle would happen. He was so mellow, and so lovable, and so calm... but his breathing started to change, and we just knew what we were going to have to do.

Bobby called back, and I explained the situation. He very kindly offered to send me another one, same day. I'll be getting him tomorrow (Wednesday). In the meantime, he told us that we'd need to humanely euthanize the poor broken one. I told him that we already knew it was coming, and had planned on it.

Thankfully, The Boyfriend took care of everything, even the burial.

I held it together up until the time came to say my goodbyes. I took the little one out on the balcony, and held him as I cried like a little girl. I absolutely lost it. After about 10 minutes, The Boyfriend came out to take him away, and I just stayed there, crying. It was like that horrible dream that I'd had a few weeks ago had come true. After it was... done... The Boyfriend came out and joined me on the balcony, and held me while I absolutely broke down. After a while, he gently reminded me that we still had a healthy one to take care of and get settled, and that we needed to focus on that.

So.

We have one healthy All American, and a (hopefully) healthy B/W to come tomorrow... and one in the ground. I can't bare the thought of posting the pics tonight of the healthy one, what with the visions of the broken one weighing me down, so I'll be waiting until another time to share them.

RIP, little one. I loved you for the very brief time I knew you.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Another fine example of Bobby being a stand up dude.

Sorry that lil guy had to be put down.

...Jefroka

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu