• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Barbossa new home

COWHER

5 Year Member
i posted this else where but now that im done with them here it is
So I made him a cage a wile ago. But now I am going to shoot for a nicer enclosure by decorating it and maybe just maybe it will end up as nice as Taucher76's enclosures. :lol: So here is some step by step pictures of the cage build.
273073607.jpg

273693344.jpg

275162523.jpg

275564304.jpg

So there it is as it stands now. :? not to exciting huh? So by looking at others enclosures and the help of Taucher76's website i have gotten some ideas. So here is my step by step post of my decorations build. if you have a good suggestion or idea lemme here 'em. :D

I went to home depot and bought external foam insulation for houses and gorilla glued two pieces together (all sheets were cut in half).
282144319.jpg

Then i marked out with a sharpie a topographic lay out of how the pool will be with a shallow end and a deeper end.
282144324.jpg

Then i took a old steak knife and cut the deepest part of the pool. Then i put a 90 degree bend in the knife.
282144321.jpg

282144329.jpg

I then heated the knife and went to town. it cuts fast and puts off alot of smoke so do it in a well ventilated area. The pool is now done.
282144327.jpg

COWHER

5 Year Member
Now I moved on to the shelf and the ramp. I just took sheets of the styrofoam and rounded the corners and shaped it a little with a steak knife, and the same with the ramp. Then i cut a angle on the ramps end to let it sit flat in the ground.
282984666.jpg

And notched out the top to get it to fit on to the shelf.
282984669.jpg

Then I took the knife and dragged it across rapidly keeping the knife straight up and down to the styrofoam that gave it a rocky look.
282984668.jpg

The shelf is supported by a piece of plywood and a few corner brackets.
282984676.jpg

and the ramp by a piece of plywood and some bamboo for supports.
282984671.jpg

COWHER

5 Year Member
Now for the rock wall I used a knife to shape blocks into rock like shapes

283018499.jpg

then i drag the knife across the surface just like before to give that textured look

283018504.jpg

after i had about 20 "rocks" i mounted them up by covering the backs with glue and putting screws into them to hold them in place until the glue dried. I then took smaller pieces to fill large gaps and to complete the wall

283018501.jpg

283018507.jpg

283018509.jpg

next time i will apply the cement and start the painting

COWHER

5 Year Member
Now for the cement. I mixed the cement and just globbed it on with my hands. (by the way where gloves, this stuff kills your skin)

283156400.jpg

next i got a scrub brush to smooth everything out.

283156409.jpg

i ran out of cement but here is the finished product so far i still have some clean up and painting to do but that can wait till Monday.

283156408.jpg

283156405.jpg

COWHER

5 Year Member
i got the rock painted and sealed up good. and Barbossa loves it! All he does is walk around investigating and jumping off the ledge into the pool :lol:

284008538.jpg

284008540.jpg

284008541.jpg

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That cage looks great! Did you ever figure out if it was the ledge that he jumped off of causing the foot problems?

COWHER

5 Year Member
i am in the process of fiber glassing the surfaces he can walk on and making the some what smooth. the foot soars were caused by to much moisture Bobby (Varnyard) helped me out and told me to dry it up a bit i did and the soars are healing up nice :D thanks for all the compliments!

greentriple

5 Year Member
I love looking at you enclosure, at the same time I hate you for make it and me not having it :p

How big is Barbaros now?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol this just reminded me of your youtube vid. that made me laugh!! I like the cage too. My uncle and I are going to build one over my winter break. He has mad carpenter skills so I am wondering what kind of creation we will come up with. I will be sure to post pics.

playlboi

5 Year Member
man, that is a wicked enclosure for your tegu. i'm thinking about making one this winter, when i have free time from school. i hope you dont' mind me borrowing some of your ideas!

Ari Gold

5 Year Member
did anyone save the pictures of Taucher76's cage?

it seems as though the links dont work anymore and all i can see are the thumbnails.. i'd love to see full sizes.

Taucher76

5 Year Member
hi...

you are still happy with your design???
or did you found any things you would made better...

after building i always find something?!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey Mark!! It is real good to see you joined us on the site, welcome to the TeguTalk community!! :)

COWHER

5 Year Member
hi mark yeah i found alot of things i didn't like but I'm Scraping up some cash and I'm going to get a Extreme Giant aka Chacoan from Bobby soon and I'll be redesigning his new enclosure

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980