• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Banana Plant

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
I put a somewhat large Banana plant in my 8'x4'x4' with Alice and Dozer today and I'm wondering how long you think its going to last? I got it from my mom and figured what the hay, may as well?!

Alice already checked it out but didn't seem all that amazed and after a few seconds walked off back to her basking spot.

Both the tegus are still rather small, 20"s and 15"s.

I also plan on throwing some Spider plants in and another plant (forget the name) in hanging baskets. Possibly a Elephants Ear in the ground as well.

Spencer

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
I started out with 4 tropical plants in my enclosure. they lasted for a long time and then one day I came home and the bromiliad was mulch, there was nothing left and all the other plants were perfect. Then the one by the door of his cage he found out that he caould use it as a trampoline and jump on it evry time he was crawling back into his cage so that one died a little later. One of them developed a mold problem so I took it out and then the last one stayed perfect until the tegu went into hibernation.

I still do not know what made it assassinate the bromiliad, but it still lasted a few months before the tegu took it out.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You need to watch out for some plants, Elephants Ears are toxic. Here is a link to help you with knowing the toxic plants:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cca-afc.com/en/articles/toxicplants.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cca-afc.com/en/articles/toxicplants.html</a><!-- m -->

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
I wish they could just make a large list that everyone goes by!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/articles/tropicalterrarium.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/arti ... arium.html</a><!-- m -->

This one says they're fine... Better safe then sorry I suppose though.

Spencer

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The Elephants Ears are toxic due to the presence of calcium oxalate, according to the studies.

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
It also says ficus is toxic... so many people use them in they're vivs though, I guess because most geckos wouldn't try eating it?

Spencer

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PinkPunisher said:
It also says ficus is toxic... so many people use them in they're vivs though, I guess because most geckos wouldn't try eating it?

Spencer

I would say that would be pretty close to being true, and a bunch of the larger breeders of Chams use them as well. The thing about some plants are the oils that can be absorbed through the skin, as you said before, better safe than sorry.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
The ficus, I believe, secretes the calcium oxalate through wounds in the plant. Geckos are pretty much fine with it, as they aren't big enough to break the plant, but a tegu would.

LouDog760

5 Year Member
Can any one list a few nice plants that don't get to big and would fit will in a cage that's 7ft2ft3ft?

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
I'm assuming this is for a tegu? Everything I've heard is that the plants will basically just become mulch. I'm not expecting this plant to last long. Its just like a "out of curiosity" thing.

If I had to though I would recommend going with hanging baskets and/or air root plants that you can put on a branch above the tegus, maybe have some Spanish moss hanging off the branch almost to the ground.

Spencer

LouDog760

5 Year Member
Yes that is for a tegu. 7feet long, 2 feet tall, 3 feet wide. And I won't put any plants lol. It's not worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029