• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Baking Soda

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If baking soda can help reduce odors in your refrigerator, cat box, etc., can it be mixed in with the Tegu's substrate (cypress mulch)??

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
If baking soda can help reduce odors in your refrigerator, cat box, etc., can it be mixed in with the Tegu's substrate (cypress mulch)??

Well it works great in rat and mice cages too, but I think a tegu cage would be too humid.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
DaveDragon said:

Well it works great in rat and mice cages too, but I think a tegu cage would be too humid.
I was thinking similarly. It would probably clump. I think it needs to be a powder to absorb smells. Once it absorbs water it won't work.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Correct. I've had that experience before. We used to keep one in the fridge, but whenever someone would leave the fridge open for more than a little, condensation would form, and the Baking Soda kept getting clumped up and wouldn't do its job.

Shannon

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
DaveDragon said:

My mouse cages smell really bad. Do you just sprinkle baking soda in with their substrate? I also heard that vanilla extract mixed with their drinking water helps with the smell too. If so, how much vanilla extract should you use?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029