• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Baby Tegu arrived today

Russ Welch

His(im assuming its a he til otherwise) name is Nuova.
He was very active right out of the container. When I got him im his new home he climbed to the basking spot and started rubbing the top of his head against the lid. He would occasionally rub up against other stuff too. Maybe shedding?
20140924_154827.jpg

20140924_155013.jpg

20140924_155156.jpg

Last edited:

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Awww what a little cutie! Great unboxing shots! How's he settling in??

Russ Welch

Hes
Awww what a little cutie! Great unboxing shots! How's he settling in??
Hes doing great so far. My only concern would be eating right now. Hes eating but ate like 6 crickets the first day. About 4 today. I thought they were supposed to eat alot more?

N8bub

Yeah don't sweat it. Like skeep said keep the temps up and keep offering. Before you know it it'll be pounding everything. My little dude has been eating like a champ, he was just a little slow outta the gate. IMO shipping kinda unsettles them. I bet once comfortable, pound town!

Russ Welch

I know this is common. And I have to persevere and just keep it up. But anytime Nuova is out on his basking spot. Ill try to open the top of the terrarium and talk to him a bit. Then ill try to pick him up. He starts breathing pretty hard and darting away. Im trying find the fine line between establishing trust/a bond/stability and being too aggressive to pick him up. Most of the time when he gets near the entrance of his hide ill just let him go in/burrow.
Any tips or suggestions to make sure i tame him and establish a good trust.

N8bub

Lots of people say put one of your dirty tshirts in their cage. Good reasoning but I say up the ante, use one or two of your dirty socks. They usually pick up a pretty good odor and with him being a lil guy he cant swallow it (sounds crazy but who knows! ) stuff one in his burrow won't be able to avoid it. This is my first argentine but have had a colombian and several monitors in the past and has worked for me. Also bath time, they swim around in the tub and you sit there with your hand in about 2 inches of nice warm water. He'll get tired of swimming sooner or later and crawl on your hand and build from there. Just keep interacting is the best thing

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu