• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Baby blues looking for forever homes!

Buying a physically and genetically healthy animal is important to me...

• Not at all, looks are all that matters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kinda, I know inbreeding can cause problems

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bocacash

5 Year Member
Roadkill: Very interesting and knowledgeable articles ! I live in Deerfield Beach, FL...about 5 miles from Underground Reptiles !

I have a question...when you use the word 'providence'...do you mean 'provenance' ? As a collector of various things, I am familiar with the latter...and believe that is the word you mean.

prov·e·nance (prävənəns) /noun
noun: provenance
  1. the place of origin or earliest known history of something.
    "an orange rug of Iranian provenance"
    synonyms: origin, source, place of origin;More
    birthplace, fount, roots, pedigree, derivation, root, etymology;
    formalradix
    "the provenance of the paintings"
    • the beginning of something's existence; something's origin.
      "they try to understand the whole universe, its provenance and fate"
    • a record of ownership of a work of art or an antique, used as a guide to authenticity or quality.
      plural noun: provenances
      "the manuscript has a distinguished provenance"

Thanks roadkill, but I am not trying to assume anything. Only reporting what I know from information I have gathered from being around the industry. I agree with all that you said above, except my data is not ridden with errors and assumptions lol, but is focused on comparative work between captive, imported, and the invasive homestead tegus. I am including color variations in my work like "blue" or "fire belly" as just phenotypic observations, but the blood, scale counts, and measurements are what my methodology is using to distinguish animals, not breeder/industry claims or terms. I am not hung up on any paradigms, I am always open to the truth through proper science! I did like your story in studying hibernation, and it is an important lesson about scientific investigation :).

I understand the Chaco tegus may not be from that area, and who knows what's true. I don't trust many people in the industry. I love that you KNOW your stuff and use REAL info from reviews and submit real science on here! Refreshing to see! I would LOVE your list of tegu articles, I can't find it on here? And I really appreciate your expertise! You have clearly done some great work, are you still a researcher?

I graduate my MS Biology in May, and I start my PhD august. My tegu project will continue as it is independent, developed and supported by FWC, a reptile vet, and my graduate professor (an entomolgist with a reptile passion).
I am just trying to further categorize the diversity of T. merianae and look for trends between the 3 populations. It would be amazing to trace the blues back to a population in Brazil, but after 3
Seasons of sampling (almost a thousand animals) I do not believe this is the case. I agree with you, that Blues are not as unique as I once thought, and their traits are found in even invasive tegus!

My first publication will be submitted to FWC for review (they will assign me a co-author) to prepare for publication this August, fingers crossed. :D

Guman

I will be looking up some of the sources talked about during this conversation. Well, in my spare time. Lol, not a lot of that since I went back to school for my masters in nursing administration.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam