• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Awake every other day?

Zilch

5 Year Member
Hey all, I'm new here, been lurking for a while though.

I've got a question for those more experienced keepers, I've had my hatchling B&W for two weeks (Hatched July 3rd), the first week he/she came out of his/her bedding every day to bask and forage around for food, though in the last 6 days or so he's been only emerging every other day, stuffing himself to capacity and burying himself again around 6PM.

I talked to the folks where I got him, and they seem to think maybe he's just overeating and sleeping it off. It doesn't really seem like hibernation behavior because his appetite is still huge when I get him to the feeding tank.

Any ideas?

And because everyone loves pictures!:

tegu1.jpg

tegu2.jpg

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well I do not know about sleeping it off, however, it could be that he is full and has no need to be active to search for heat and food I guess.

I will say that many of my tegus are now slowing down here, and some only come out every few days. Some are still eating and some are not, but the ones that are eating do not come out everyday.

Zilch

5 Year Member
Thanks for the response :) So maybe the little guy is going to go down to hibernate, I'll keep an eye on him and see if he keeps staying down more than a day.

If it does have to do with the amount he's eating, should I adjust the quantity or continue with my "whatever he can stuff down" approach?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Zilch said:
Thanks for the response :) So maybe the little guy is going to go down to hibernate, I'll keep an eye on him and see if he keeps staying down more than a day.

If it does have to do with the amount he's eating, should I adjust the quantity or continue with my "whatever he can stuff down" approach?

I feed mine all they want if they are going to hibernate, they will stop eating when they get ready.

Zilch

5 Year Member
The little guy scarfed down a ton of turkey today, though he tends to snub live prey like superworms and crickets since i introduced him to the joy of large piles of meat that doesn't flee. He laid about in the basking spot for a couple hours before retreating to his substrate cavern again.

I'll keep an eye on him, guess he's just getting everything he needs and sleeping in rather than facing the world, cant blame him, i'd do the same if I had a metabolism like that :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980