• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Average height of B&W Argentine Tegu

AvaHal12

I am in the process of buying a MVB for my tegu I am getting this summer. I am curious what is the avg. height of a tegu from the ground... 6", 8"?

Thank you in advance.

Max713

Bubblz Calhoun said:
Depending on the type of tegu and how old it is,... standing on all fours about 2-3"

I would disagree. A full grown Tegu is 5"+ thick, I'd say standing height, up to 8-10", they can stand pretty tall.

AvaHal12

Adult B&W Argentine Tegu height... Trying to gauge the strength MVB I will need inorder not to over/under expose a tegu. My thinking is I can always get the tegu closer to the light, not so easy getting the tegu further way.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've got my tegu in an enclosure thats about 3.5' tall. I've got a mounted fixture (covered) and from the basking platform (a massive rock) he's about 10 inches below the MVB light. It keeps his temps where they should be. I'd make sure that its pretty secure, my tegu tends to get on his hind legs and sometimes dances along the glass when he wants out. A few weeks ago I had a regular dome fixture up until I could rewire the mounted fixture, long story short he knocked the dome fixture off its hook into the substrate and almost caught his enclosure on fire.. :( His thermometer was torched and the light was toast.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Max713 said:
Bubblz Calhoun said:
Depending on the type of tegu and how old it is,... standing on all fours about 2-3"

I would disagree. A full grown Tegu is 5"+ thick, I'd say standing height, up to 8-10", they can stand pretty tall.

The OP didn't give details on the tegu,.. just that they were getting it this summer. Which is why I said "depending on the type of tegu and how old it is" and gave the average height of a young tegu. Which is what people usually get. I could've closed my reply but I didn't,.. I left it open,.. like the question.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Your hatchling will be 3/4" ~ 1.5" thick while laying on his belly under a basking light...

A 4' adult will be around 6~7" tall while walking on all four with his belly raised...

AvaHal12

rhetoricx said:
I've got my tegu in an enclosure thats about 3.5' tall. I've got a mounted fixture (covered) and from the basking platform (a massive rock) he's about 10 inches below the MVB light. It keeps his temps where they should be. I'd make sure that its pretty secure, my tegu tends to get on his hind legs and sometimes dances along the glass when he wants out. A few weeks ago I had a regular dome fixture up until I could rewire the mounted fixture, long story short he knocked the dome fixture off its hook into the substrate and almost caught his enclosure on fire.. :( His thermometer was torched and the light was toast.

What type of MVB / wattage do you use?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use a solar glo 125w, I've also got a ceramic heater (whatever the lowest wattage is) I turn on when its really cold out, in the summer I only need the MVB bulb. I use solar glos with my 3 reptiles. They're working great for me, I haven't had any issues with them. I replace them about every 6 months. I think the box says it lasts a little longer but I just replace them when I get new reptisun tubes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980