• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

australian water dragon

nivek5225

5 Year Member
Hello,

I was wondering if australian water dragons can eat regular meat for their protein like a blue tongued skink instead of crickets/insects?

thanks

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I have a blue tongue skink, by the way, and I have never fed anything other than whole bodied prey items. They are prone to obesity, and I think it's best to try to give them lean foods.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would like to second that statement on Blue-Tongued skinks. My Blue-Tongued skink was semi-obese, and I just couldn't seem to get her to thin down.

Tails

5 Year Member
My blue tongue somehow manages to not want to be a fatty, lol. She prefers whole prey normally, but right now she doesn't seem to want anything but fruits :roll: As long as she's happy and healthy I suppose I'm ok with it. She'll start eating her f/t mice again when she wants them

dicy

5 Year Member
i feed my youn waterdragon locusts crickets and dubia and sum vegys my addult cwd eat mostly inseckts and the ocasionly mice the aussie waterdragon addult i have eats 75 % inseckts 25% veggys

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dicy.. My Aussie dragons are just babies still.. But mine wont eat anything else but crickets and mealworms... I know some Aussie's wont even touch fruit, and as for mine.they wont touch anything enless its moving....

dicy

5 Year Member
yea sum take a while to get on veggys thats why most people give them veggys rigth from the egg even if they wont eat them they seem to get used to them faster also if u house more together and 1 eats it the others whill folow

ThePHX

5 Year Member
Lexi said:
Dicy.. My Aussie dragons are just babies still.. But mine wont eat anything else but crickets and mealworms... I know some Aussie's wont even touch fruit, and as for mine.they wont touch anything enless its moving....

i know this might be kinda stupid, but when i had that problem with one of my reps, i would wave it around in front of him, and then after a little bit he became interested, and now i just drop it in front of him and he goes after it...might work

dicy

5 Year Member
i do that whit my male green waterdragon cuz if it doesnt move he doesnt eat it the only fruit veggy he eats is banana

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu