• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Assist feeding

Memel

Any ideas how to assist feed an adolescent tegu? She’s not eating and while the vet is running tests I have to assist feed and medicate. She’s relatively sweet but clamps her mouth shut when it’s medicine time. The vet made it look so easy. Lol

Attachments

• 3759FA5D-8969-45B4-B55A-D39C2B19612F.jpeg
    3759FA5D-8969-45B4-B55A-D39C2B19612F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24

Memel

The vet showed me how to stroke both sides of her mouth to annoy her and get her to open up but that doesn’t work for me. She just kinda plays dead. Almost like a cat I have to wrap her in a towel and hold her while someone else opens her mouth wide enough to squeeze the syringe in. I can’t get her to open wide the way she did for the vet.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If shes Ignoring food I personally wouldn't be too bothered....... its winter time so appetites are deplenished and I believe that any animal if hungry will eat if food is offered.

As for the meds you'll just have to keep struggling

mdeford09

If shes Ignoring food I personally wouldn't be too bothered....... its winter time so appetites are deplenished and I believe that any animal if hungry will eat if food is offered.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Everywhere in the US, but the southern states, are still mostly in brumation. I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about lack of appetite right now. Well, as long as it didn't come with any other symptoms.

Memel

She hasn’t eaten hardly anything in almost 4 months. A little egg here and there and she does drink water but otherwise nothing. I’ve tried literally everything that she use to love. She even turns down mice which was a favorite. The vet took some blood to test her liver and has me assist feeding carnivore care. Her poop is watery egg.

mdeford09

Believe it or not but, all Tegus eat nothing for between 4-6 months during the winter months. They go into brumation, which is similar to a mammal hybernating. During that time, you can wake them up but they will be very sluggish, constantly trying to hide and sleep, and they will refuse to eat.

When they're in brumation, it's best to just let them sleep. Kick off your lights and heat sources, to save on electricity, and let them sleep.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus