• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

ASF feeders, best way to kill them?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I found someone locally who will sell me ASF rats for $1 each, she says their adults but I'm waiting to hear back on the exact size, if they're small, medium, etc. I'm told there are 43 rats they don't need, they breed them for snakes and just have too many for the time being... Thats a good deal right?
I've seen co2 chamber tutorials, is there a better method to use to kill them so I can freeze them? Theres a grocery store up the street that sells dry ice so thats not an issue. I just have never done this myself... I would feel hesitant but this is too good of a deal to pass up!

i meant asf rat feeders for the title... idk if there are other things that are asf..

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The other fastest, most humane ways are said to be swinging by the tail and hitting the head hard enough to cause instant death, or putting the back of the head under a block and pulling by the tail base to dislocate the skull from the spinal cord.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
:( If I smacked them on the garage floor wouldn't it get pretty messy? If its more humane I can try it.. I would have to put them in bags before doing it, I don't think I can be looking directly at it when I do it.. These guys are so cute! I read about the tail pulling but I saw that it usually takes a few tries to get it right and sometimes you can end up skinning the tails.
Since I'm planning to freeze them afterwards is it better to do it one way or the other? And whats the best way to freeze them? I've seen some people seran wrap them individually then put groups into bags, other people do separate bags.
I don't have a vacuum sealing thing at the moment, it sounds like this could be a regular thing and if it is I'll have to invest in one, so exciting! (In a non creepy way)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu