• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Are there any negative effects of eating bread?

SomethingTegu

I feed my tegu bread maybe once every two weeks, only a biscuit, and shake it in a vitamin/calcium powder container to the point that it is coated in the dust. I read Burt Bert Langerwerf fed his tegu's bread occasionally, and saw a picture of his red tegus eating bread. I was wondering what negative effects that could come from eating from eating bread.

larissalurid

I'm blanking out on the specifics at the moment, but I know that bread is something animals should NOT be eating. Not just tegus, even dogs, cats, squirrels, rodents, etc. I'm pretty sure it causes digestive problems and just isn't healthy. Grain is also generally not something they should be eating, like for people who feed their pets (whether its a part of a certain reptiles diet or even with their dogs/cats) canned dog/cat food they usually like to go for grain free as well.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It would have to do with the idea that they aren't designed to digest carbohydrates and the insulin response hasn't been well-researched. It's like adult onset type 2 diabetes in people. Not everyone gets it, some people do, but it comes from the pancreas working overtime to handle the extra glucose load in the body. Eventually tissues get insulin resistant. Perhaps the same occurs in reptiles.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu