• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Are bugs a necessity

Blue Maveric

My blue will be here on Tuesday an I want to know if this diet is acceptable. Or if bugs have to be included.
Monday-Thursday
ground chicken bones included
Friday, Saturday
ground turkey an chicken liver mix with multivitamin
sunday
pinkies

Matthew Krzemienski

For my tegus when try first got here, it was more trial and error to see what they would eat. For them it was crickets only. To get them to start taking ground meats, I'd wrap the crickets in it some foods they took to right away, like scrambled eggs. 2 months later and they are finally no longer interested in crickets and will devour mixed meats and fruits on their own. Hope this helps.

Matt

Lauraj10551

My 2 month almost 3 month old loves dubia and superworms. He always ate ground turkey and cut up chicken from the time I got him at 2 weeks old, but he didn't eat a lot of it. The dubia and superworms however were his favorites so it helped put weight on him. He still loves them now, so I will feed him them until he no longer wants them. I feed him ground turkey, chicken and scrambled eggs first, then I feed him dubia and superworms after he is done with that.

Lauraj10551

My blue will be here on Tuesday an I want to know if this diet is acceptable. Or if bugs have to be included.
Monday-Thursday
ground chicken bones included
Friday, Saturday
ground turkey an chicken liver mix with multivitamin
sunday
pinkies
Make sure to dust all this meats with calcium too. And variety is key also. I get ground turkey, ground chicken, chicken breasts, tilapia, salmon, turkey grits, and eggs.

Blue Maveric

My 2 month almost 3 month old loves dubia and superworms. He always ate ground turkey and cut up chicken from the time I got him at 2 weeks old, but he didn't eat a lot of it. The dubia and superworms however were his favorites so it helped put weight on him. He still loves them now, so I will feed him them until he no longer wants them. I feed him ground turkey, chicken and scrambled eggs first, then I feed him dubia and superworms after he is done with that.
thank you, that helps alot. As far as the calcium go's. I still have to dust the meat even though I grounded the bone as well?

Blue Maveric

For my tegus when try first got here, it was more trial and error to see what they would eat. For them it was crickets only. To get them to start taking ground meats, I'd wrap the crickets in it some foods they took to right away, like scrambled eggs. 2 months later and they are finally no longer interested in crickets and will devour mixed meats and fruits on their own. Hope this helps.

Matt
Yes its very helpful thank you. any information offered is highly appreciated.

Lauraj10551

thank you, that helps alot. As far as the calcium go's. I still have to dust the meat even though I grounded the bone as well?

I always mix some calcium in with meat. It's hard because you can have the perfect schedule you think and then you find out your tegu doesn't like what you are offering :/ So yes a lot is trial and error with them. I also found this website that has whole ground prey, https://www.mypetcarnivore.com

Lauraj10551

I saw that hare-today website, but you have to order 10lbs of meat minimum. Right now with mine only being 3 months old, it will take him forever to go through that and I don't have a big enough freezer. Pet carnivore you can order less amounts. I will order from hare-today once Sammy gets a bit older.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu