• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Appetite Question

CaterpillarGiraffe

5 Year Member
My Tegu is approximately 8-9 months old. He's not very large, maybe 17 inches long. No green appearing on him, so my guess is he's not too young.

I've tried everything for him to get to eat ground meats, eggs or fruit.

All he seems to go for are things that move such as crickets or superworms. I have had him eat a few pinkies, (F/T) and he did take those.

But anything I put in a dish such as eggs, various different chopped fruits, ground turkey, etc. He won't eat.

I've tried everything. Mixing it up, different types, putting worms in with the food, etc.

I know not to fret that he isn't eating fruit at this age, but still .. Most Tegus have voracious appetites.

I've pushed some pieces of fruit into his mouth before and he's chewed and swallowed on his own, but if I just put food in his enclosure, he won't go for it.

Any help is appreciated

jmiles50

5 Year Member
I have the same issues, I'm told to just keep giving variety until they eventually take some of it :bang

eyesamson

5 Year Member
i too have the same issue..i try the ground turkey..fruits too..he is about 3 months and about 15 inches...i keep on trying but hes not taking it..he'll eat crickets, super worms, and pinkies after a little while..he actually ate a fuzzy the other day..i will just keep on trying i put strawberries in the other day and he ate one!!..so i guess keep on trying.

DaRealJoker

5 Year Member
As a juvenile, they tend to eat the high protein food more. Most everyone has a bit of a tough time getting them to take a variety of foods. This is normal and will get easier. Keep offering what you can and things will change sooner or later. Superworms are supposed o be given as a treat as they are like candy and are mostly fat. Aswell make sure you are killing your superworms by squishing the heads. They have been known to chew the insides out of animals as they don't die easily. Pinkies are mostly water, and so are fuzzies. But they are still needed. Just keep trying and you'll succeed.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey guys, none of mine are eating, and they will not eat anything until March. I will also add, even tegus that are not hibernating will be picky about eating and they will eat less during the winter months. It is normal for them to act like this, they are not acting strange in any way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029