• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Anyone Keeping Mangrove Monitors?

31drew31

5 Year Member
I have been thinking about getting a Mangrove (Varanus Indicus) for a while now and have been doing research here and there. Just wanting to know how people have found them to calm down? What they have found works best for feeding? and the size of their enclosures?

On a side note, would love to see pictures of your Mangroves and also pictures of your enclosures.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks, Andrew.

Bentley83

5 Year Member
I use to have a 4 foot one loved him such a awesome monitor. I have owned different species of monitor thought he was the coolest but I would also have to say my black throats were awesome.

Chris

31drew31

5 Year Member
Good to know. What size enclosure did you keep him in? Did he use the whole enclosure or did he have his main spots to hang out in? Also did he tolerate handling?

Beazer

5 Year Member
I use to work with mangroves a few years back.Dont have pics though :/.

Being an indicus monitor they are typical "wild" as in trying to flee from you and stuff. My pair did get to the point of tolerating my existence but they hate being handled. If you do handle them, let them come up on you. So as far as a calm note... its a hit or complete miss, but I would say definitely not a calm species, just a species for you to display. Some say handling them calms them down but honestly, any sort of handling they typically freak out and the stress themselves out into a submissive state that is very unhealthy.

As for enclosure I kept mine in a custom made (by my friend Mark) cage that was 5ft long x 3ft tall x 3ft deep. It took up a lot of room though, but its the only way to keep them happy. If I were to change anything about my caging, I would have made it 6ft long x 4tall x 3deep (for the pair).

They definitely are worth dedicating the room to. They are VERY intelligent little monitors and I love them, just at my new house I have to be selective of what I work with :/. It is really fun especially to watch them eat because they are one of the coolest hunterss (especially if you supply lots of logs/cork). But for feeding them, I did crickets (when they were smaller), discoid roaches, fusca roachs, dubia roaches, Silver Sides (found at marine fish stores in teh freeazer), occasional soft boiled egg, and mice/rats (feed more of an insect diet though).

They are an awesome species to work with and worth the dedication and room and its awesome to see you are doing your research. Most people rush into them.

-Jon DeLong

31drew31

5 Year Member
Wow lots of great info, thanks. Thats what i have heard about them with handling. Handling would mostly be for changing water, feeding, cleaning, soaking (if needed) and what not. I would also probably try to calm him down but if he didnt take it wouldnt be the end of the world. Did you find as adults they still used the height and climbed alot? Ive read a few times that as adults they tend to stay on the ground. If I were to get one id be doing a 6x3x4 (LxWxH). With the roachs I find them hard to come by, and I wouldnt want to breed them, would they do ok on a rodent/fish/worm diet? with the odd egg and chicken heart?

Thanks again.

Beazer

5 Year Member
I would try to supply roaches. Discoids/dubia are easier to come by, harder to afford though. However, in the long run, its a lot cheaper to use as feeders them and the colonies will grow fast. But, I guess as long as the diet is veried, sure? Also, button quail eggs and button quail are good. Chicken heart I am not so sure about? Whole food items are the best. Best of luck!

p.s. Go to kingsnake.com- classifieds and check out their feeders, there's tons of roach breeders on there.

31drew31

5 Year Member
The problem with that is I live in Vancouver Canada. Only way ive been able to find roachs is through ordering from across the country. Button Quail.... where would someone find them?

BSM

5 Year Member
There very skittish and all wild caught caught, go with some CBB monitors like ackies,tristis, and a few others. There is a breeder in canda named Brandon (coldblood or something like that is his website). You will have alot more fun with them as there are active in your presence compared to hiding + they dont require as big of a cage.

Bryan

argus333

5 Year Member
id go with a pair of blue tailed monitors they get a little bigger but are much less skittish and easier to work with. they also stay out more and hide a lot less.

31drew31

5 Year Member
They seem to be just like the Mangrove just slightly bigger. But where would someone go about to find one of those.

BSM

5 Year Member
You clearly never had monitors before, i was telling you they dont make the best captives as there all WC animals,not afraid to bite and hide all the time that's why i was telling you to look into a few other species as there is a breeder near you.
On a side not mangroves and blue tails can get anywhere from 3-5.5 feet depending on the local and you will need a large cage around 8x4 foot print or bigger to fit in the water requirements as they like to swim

If you have plenty of space then look into Argus monitors i know there are a few in Canada as there more forgiving with errors and they are very active. They get to 35 to 40 inches for females and males get over 4ft

P4090191.jpg

P3220168.jpg

P2080124.jpg

Bryan

31drew31

5 Year Member
I clearly have never had monitors before? Im not saying im not expert but i have a Savannah monitor. Started out with a easier one to get to know monitors. He is very skittish and is always whipping his tail when I go to move him from his enclosure to his feeding bin. But i enjoy him very much as it gives me a challenge and something fun to do. I also have 2 tegus, one argentine and one columbian. I cant seem to find this Brandon guy you talk about as his website is a little out dated being the last time it was updated was 2001. Im not really interested in the Argus monitors as I am looking for an arboreal monitor of some sort as I would like to do that kind of set up. Also I am not interested in the smaller monitors like ackies and tristis. All I was looking for was people who have kept mangroves to give me a little insight on what they have seen with them. You gave your opinion so thanks but this post was not about telling me which monitors to choose. Thanks to the other people who gave there previous experiences. If I was looking to get info about argus monitors or where to find ackies I would have posted something like that.

BSM

5 Year Member
You shouldn't take it out of its cage to feed, it stresses them out and due you got any pictures.
Hes around still he had a few ads on king snake a few months ago, i will look for his email.

I am looking for an arboreal monitor of some sort as I would like to do that kind of set up

Mangroves are more aquatic species, they live in swamps and near the coast so its not going to due the best in the set up you want to have. There are some indo monitors that are arboreal but they are not the hardiest species and require a lot of care that the average person cant give.

31drew31

5 Year Member
Thats funny cause every care sheet i have read mentions them climbing and being arboreal or semi-arboreal. If you have any input on cage requirements, feeding, or handling of Mangroves id be happy to hear it otherwise you can leave this thread be.

BSM

5 Year Member
You clearly didnt read anything i wrote, i been trying to help you.

Thats funny cause every care sheet i have read mentions them climbing and being arboreal or semi-arboreal. If you have any input on cage requirements, feeding, or handling of Mangroves id be happy to hear it otherwise you can leave this thread be.

Its funny anyone can make a care sheet and there are people who have to clue and make one to feel special. You keep mentioning that you want to hold them and your going to be disappointed as there more for looking at plus again you havent listened to one thing i said "There very skittish and all wild caught caught" . Another thing you think 4-6 foot tall cage is good for tree dwellers, for example savannahs are ground dwelling monitors yet they can be found 30 ft up in trees

I'm going to give you some info and im not even going to bother after that as you clearly wouldnt take any advice.

Try and get a cage thats 8x4x6 or bigger if your getting a pair and give plenty of hides and get a basking spot of 130F + using rows of 50W haglon outdoor spot bulbs. Feed a variety of different whole prey items (fish,mice,roaches,quails,etc) and feed every day to every other day depending on size. Also make sure the cage has all solid sides and is off the ground. As for substrate use either 1-2 feet of dirt/sand mix or use 1 foot of dirt with a foot of leafs over it. To give more surface area add branches or cork on the walls.

take it or leave it

31drew31

5 Year Member
Thats the kind of info I was looking for. I never said once I was looking for a monitor I could handle it would just be a bonus if it would calm down. Like I said from the start " it wouldnt be the end of the world if it never calmed down"

Beazer

5 Year Member
This forum is to help the dude with info... not try to do the typical "I am better". So, I didn't quite like a few of the responses. He was asking for help. If you have anymore questions 31drew31, I can refer you to a few people who are dedicated to this species and they are more than willing to help. Most animals are easy to care for as long as you are told correctly how to set it up, not attacked/talked down to. As being an entirely arboreal species, they are not, however you give them branches and they definitely will climb them. Feel free to PM me.
Like I said, anybody being a jack a-s-s on this forum will find out its not tolerated here very quickly. People like that ruin the hobby.

-Jon DeLong

VenomVipe

5 Year Member
Ive always known mangroves to be a see-big-bird-from-tree-in-mangrove- swamp-jump-in-water-see-huge-saltie-climb-back-up-tree. Kinda like an iguana or water dragon. Ive always loved those behaviors. I believe Steve Irwin caught a mangrove in one episode and is esentialy what youll be getting so think about it. It would be awesome if someone could breed them, produce tamer hatchlings and start like a trend. then they would be more popular. i guess no one has gotten around to it yet and maybe you could be like the chosen one man if you could successfuly produce hatchlings. And yes, Jack@$$ism is NOT tolerated here at all.

31drew31

5 Year Member
I would love to try my hand at breeding them but I think if I were to do that I should start with something a little easier haha.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029