• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Anyone keep/have kept water monitors??

dorton

5 Year Member
I've been thinking about getting one. I've been looking at some CBB waters, and am curious if anyone has had luck taming one?
My friend had one that was super laid back, and was beautiful to boot. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Justin

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have seen as well as had some that were pretty tame, not as tame as the tegus get, but you could handle them without much of a problem. If you get one, keep in mind that this species can get 7 feet long, it is going to need huge housing.

dorton

5 Year Member
Yeah, the housing I have allready figured out. I was wanting to know if they could ever be tegu tame, or trustable.
My friend said his old one was super, but my luck I'd get a maneater.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Don't get your hopes up. A monitor is a monitor. They are different than tegus, much spunkier. That's why I like them. They are more interesting to observe. Not to knock tegus, but we all have preferences. My advice is not to get something hoping that it will be something it won't. A water monitor is not a bearded dragon. There are many trusting captives, but it takes years of non-forced handling and interaction. Also, so many of these big guys are not properly kept, and seem "tame" because they aren't metabolizing properly.

If you get one, 14x7 would be my minimum standard. It's great that you want a CB, who wants a dehydrated, brink of death import. Supporting conscientious breeders is great!

-Chris

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Watch the Freshmen. There were two water monitors in that movie and lemme tell you, they were not interested in any kind of a fight. They were beyond laid back. There are some seriously funny scenes in that movie and the monitors just chill.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
First of all, that is a movie. I wouldn't search for you cold hard facts in cinema.

The fact is my monitor is a maniac. Different species, but still a monitor. Now, if I took Edgar and put him in a refrigerator for a few minutes and took him out, he would be as tame as a puppy.

This is the same thing you see on King Snake. They give the animals cool downs so that they can take a "tame monitor" shot.

Let's not steer away from the ridiculous factor of a 7 ft lizard. A well placed bite on the wrist could sever arteries and send you to the hospital. These are not playthings guys.

-Chris

snakehandler

5 Year Member
A friend of mine got bitten by a full grown water monitor and had to undergo surgery. One of his fingers is still missing.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dorton i had the nicest water monitor ever ... His name was Donald..I had him about a year befor i found him upside down in his pond..
With alot of handeling and attention when they are babies they can become Calm.. They will get agressive if you bother them to much.. But mine was "tame". When i first got him he was a monster..But lots of handeling and acouple of scars later he clamed down.Here are some pics of him(and no i didnt put him in the frig to make him look tame like larry mentioned)
donald4.jpg

donald3-1.jpg

donald3.jpg

donald2.jpg

donald.jpg

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
They are definitely one of the calmest monitor species. I just think we should all be careful about the terminology we use. I we start saying "puppy tame" people will get the wrong idea and go get something they can't ultimately afford to take care of or house properly. It's every kid's dream to have a pet dragon, but sometimes we all need a reality check.

Cute monitor. Sorry about his accident.

snakehandler

5 Year Member
shiftylarry said:
They are definitely one of the calmest monitor species. I just think we should all be careful about the terminology we use. I we start saying "puppy tame" people will get the wrong idea and go get something they can't ultimately afford to take care of or house properly. It's every kid's dream to have a pet dragon, but sometimes we all need a reality check.

Cute monitor. Sorry about his accident.

a full grown water monitor is an impressive animal.
people should check out one in the zoo first. and yeah they need at least a whole room for themselves.

Tortoise

5 Year Member
Mine doesent try to bite when i open the tank he runs over and climbs my arm its not how it sounds he hates being held he just runs and if i were to sit him on the bed or the floor like i can my tegu he turns crazy charging,hissing,puffing up i once tried dropping a shirt on his head but i just got slaped in the face i just had to grab him so i slid my hand under him and lifted him up expecting chomp but he just spun his head and licked my hand alot but hes never bit me he hocked a lugie at me once no joke

argus333

5 Year Member
ive had 2 all were dog tame i raised them from babies and handled them often. they are one of the tamest monitors u can buy. small ones need to be kept very warm and humid to avoid resiptory problems. the biggest problem i find with them is not the size of cage but the appitite, they eat tons and grow like lightning. i bring mine up to the beach with his harness on in the summer and swim with him in the ocean we loved it. one of the best lizards u can buy if can make the commitment and have the room do it.
115_1514.jpg

dicy

5 Year Member
i personaly think the bigger the water gets the less fear they have of u all u have to do is respeckt it and read the body language if u can do that ul have no problems taking safe care of it (still needs to be kept properly tho)

hoosier

5 Year Member
salvators are really smart and inquisitive animals and the bigger they get the less fear they have. respect the animal and it will respect you. but for monitors i really wouldnt use the word "tame". they mearly understand that you are not a threat and get used to you. but push the limit and you will pay the cost. just make sure to learn your monitors behavior and again respect it. i have had experience with them in the past i personally love salvators and plan to get one in the future. handle alot! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff