• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Anyone have experiance with Frilled Dragons or Australian Water Dragons?

so while i think i may build the bearded dragon set ups soon i kinda wanna also work o a frilled dragon set up and australian water dragon set up. does any one have experiance with either of these reptiles? I know there are 2 types of frilled dragons but im unsure of which is the biggest or best to keep, and im still debating on what size of set up to make for the australian water dragon & frilled dragon. tips & advice?

wallace&mick

for both species if you only keeping 1 of them i would recommend 4x2x4 LxWxH with the bottom being a pool 2x2x0.6ft as they both like to swim this i would say is the minimuim i would give them as what i've found is bearded dragons are like beanie babies but AWD's and frilled love to run arround all day and sometimes night i had a setup on my wall 12x3x5 and made 2 6x3x4 cages 1 for frilled and 1 for the AWD's i had 2 in each and then built a 12x3x2 on top of that again and had 8 beardies in that one 7 female and 1 male the beardies seemed to have too much room they always sat at the one spot now thinking is was twelve foot long so 3 foot at each side had megaray bulbs but they only ever used one side of the cage on the other hand with my 2 frilled you would always guarentee if you blinked they would run about only time they would generally sit still is in the morning when there heating up but once theres a bit of heat in them you will have them clanking about the rest of the day and with the water dragon pretty much the same hope this helps

jmulley6

I have 2 frilleds
they definitely need something long and high they climb a lot.
Mine are still small, only about a foot long so I have them in a 55 gallon tank for now.
They need high humidity and love to be misted I have never seen mine drink form there water dish, they seem to think it's a toilet and nothing more.
They are quite amusing and very curious. Only downfall they are skittish and fast! Need to wait till mine fit in a harness to go outside almost lost the little one the day

La-Price

we kept ours in a 55 long (hatchling) with about 6-8 inchs of water, and lots of stuff to climb on. we tryed a setup wth substrate and couldnt keep her hydrated or her humidity up. she did much better and activly chased crickets in the 55, even with a young basalisk and water dragon sharing space.

if you ever have issues with one not eating, best way is to scare them into frilling up and tossing a cricket\roach into their mouth.

wallace&mick

the other way of getting the frilled to eat it putting in a smaller tub with only 2-3 roachs or cricket and leav them for 10-15minutes and they should be gone by the time you com back worked for my little male who was scared of his own shadows would chase his shadow about and bite me every time i went near the cage

jmulley6

Yes they are. Cute and vicious., my little female ran across the room to bite my Tegu in the nose one day. It was hysterical she was just a 6in hatchling and could not do any damage to the Tegu but he was definitely confused by it. I had to grab her quick before she got hersef killed.

jmulley6 said:
Yes they are. Cute and vicious., my little female ran across the room to bite my Tegu in the nose one day. It was hysterical she was just a 6in hatchling and could not do any damage to the Tegu but he was definitely confused by it. I had to grab her quick before she got hersef killed.

lmfao baby was exstablishing dominance as to who had claims to Jmulley's heart XD

La-Price

lol
we fed ours that way because she wouldnt eat and was loosing weight. once food was in her system she perked up a day or two later and ate on her own

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
wallace&mick said:
for both species if you only keeping 1 of them i would recommend 4x2x4 LxWxH with the bottom being a pool 2x2x0.6ft as they both like to swim this i would say is the minimuim i would give them as what i've found is bearded dragons are like beanie babies but AWD's and frilled love to run arround all day and sometimes night i had a setup on my wall 12x3x5 and made 2 6x3x4 cages 1 for frilled and 1 for the AWD's i had 2 in each and then built a 12x3x2 on top of that again and had 8 beardies in that one 7 female and 1 male the beardies seemed to have too much room they always sat at the one spot now thinking is was twelve foot long so 3 foot at each side had megaray bulbs but they only ever used one side of the cage on the other hand with my 2 frilled you would always guarentee if you blinked they would run about only time they would generally sit still is in the morning when there heating up but once theres a bit of heat in them you will have them clanking about the rest of the day and with the water dragon pretty much the same hope this helps

Do you have any pictures of this setup? I would love to see them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.