• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Anyone Ever take their tegu anywhere?

m3s4

tresh said:
I've learned to do that with my Ammy...I always carry a large towel and a cloth bag with me, so when she gets stressed, I can put her in her nice safe bag and let her calm down. She definitely lets me know when she's had enough and needs a safety-zone.

I'm loving the idea of using a dog stroller to take her places with me though...I think she'd enjoy that, and she certainly loves people. Just not a lot of people at a time yet.

I think you'll really like a dog stroller...Anyone who wants their tegu(s) to go places with them would for that matter.

It's a very good way for them to get socialized to all the sights and sounds that would usually fling them into sensory over-load when they feel they are threatened.

The stroller allows them to feel protected because it's like a hide on wheels - in it they feel safe, they can view their surroundings from a safe vantage point and they can retire into a blankets when they've had enough.

It also allows other people to be able to check them out and interact with them at a tegu-safe distance - effectively socializing them with strangers who might normally make a tegu panic.

HeatherN

sounds like a common thing when taking lizards places then. i always brought my dragons in their "special towels" that smell like their cage, to give them a familiar, soft thing to burrow in. they didn't utilize it often, but its a nice thing to have when things get a bit hectic for them.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think it depends on the lizard. I have a girl that I can take anywhere. But she has spent most of her life as an educational animal and frequently goes to the library for children's programs, schools, BDay parties, etc. She also went to the Science Center's Pet Fair day and won 2nd place in the costume contest, lol! I have another big girl that I have taken to Petco. My red doesn't go anywhere because he's too skittish.

As for your travel situation, you can put him in a tank the night before. You can dig him up in the morning, but he probably won't appreciate that too much. ;) If it is just for travel, you can also use a rubbermaid or dog carrier. Mine like to burrow under towels, too.

m3s4

laurarfl said:
I think it depends on the lizard. I have a girl that I can take anywhere. But she has spent most of her life as an educational animal and frequently goes to the library for children's programs, schools, BDay parties, etc. She also went to the Science Center's Pet Fair day and won 2nd place in the costume contest, lol! I have another big girl that I have taken to Petco. My red doesn't go anywhere because he's too skittish.

As for your travel situation, you can put him in a tank the night before. You can dig him up in the morning, but he probably won't appreciate that too much. ;) If it is just for travel, you can also use a rubbermaid or dog carrier. Mine like to burrow under towels, too.

That's awesome. I can only imagine what your educational animal dreams about at night lol...probably wondering if she'll ever get to play dress-up again!

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Judging by the way she acts, she only dreams about food! :) Oh, and maybe getting off the porch to bask in the sun.

m3s4

I took Ally to my friends on Memorial Day...She was quite interested in all the birds and squirrels that call that neck of the woods home...No leash, no harness...she was content to just lounge in the grass until she had her fill - then she retired into her dog carrier under her blankets until it was time to take her to the pet-store...

Once there, she was like a little kid in a candy store...her tongue was going a like crazy, she made friends with the resident tortoise and interestingly enough, her best buddy ended up being a 20lb. Black Throat monitor! He was perfectly fine sharing his basking spot with her and I think she was impressed at the monitors size - since she's nearly 10lbs. herself, I'm sure seeing something twice her size was humbling in her own lizard way hahaha.

Good times.

DaLoaner

I'd love to take my gu out everywhere but I dont. like the park would cool. I've taken him too the vet,pet store and my job once on my day off. also backyard pretty often.

I think it also depend on the lizard. My gu has never bitten me,tried to bite me, or tail whip...but i know that if there is a group of people around us, and people trying to touch him, he tends to get squirmish and a little fiesty. then those nails hurt. I take him in my backyard as often as i can,now that its warm out and he's fine, just lays around,digs a little and what not.

oh and i hate when people say, "hey is that an iguana?" no its a tegu.."no its an iguana i saw one on tv" oh yea ur right it is an iguana, man i was wrong this whole time and i was on the wrong board/forum, thanks stranger...lol

Diablo

5 Year Member
If you take your tegu somewhere for a couple of days is it ok for them to be away from their enclosure/lighting for that long as long as they are getting sun? Or should you setup a temporary enclosure where you are going for them? I read all the stories and wasn't really sure what some of you did for long stays such as 3-6 days away from home

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A couple of days would be OK. If you think about it, there are cloudy/cool days where they live, too. I just wouldn't feed right before I left so they are sitting in a cool place with a full belly. I usually take two week-long vacations each year. I get a pet sitter to come in and feed.

HeatherN

whenever i have taken other lizards with me, i had a large plastic bins with their blankets and lamps with them, i left them to bask in a quiet room that was already pretty warm. then id take them out to the beach and they'd dig in the sand or fall asleep in the sun. that was about a week on vacation with six hour drives asleep on my lap. they were relieved to be back hope i think, but they calmed down a lot after the trip, became more tolerant of people and less nervous in general. but idk how it goes with tegus, and all lizards are individuals. i just hope my tegu will be as good on trips!

Theroseofwar

This is all awesome insight. My Tegu is only about 5 months currently and has been burrowing and sleeping for a couple days at a time.. very little food, mostly just sleep. I am in Oregon and most of the fellow Tegus in my town all seem to sense the Winter season. He has begun harness training and doesn't seem to mind it at all.. I am hoping he will be awake more as soon as possible so I can start truly taking him out and about! (Once it warms back up) Before it got very cold, he enjoyed car rides and I am already missing it so much!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744