• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Anyone else hibernating?

Diablo

5 Year Member
Never been through this before so I've just been going with the flow. Yoshi went down for like 3 or 4 days and I finally just turned the lights off for two days, and sure enough he comes out and eats for 2 days. Then yesterday he refused food and now he didn't come out today....do some tegus confuse you like this? I want to turn the lights off and keep them off but he keep coming out every now and then. I'm not sure if he is hibernating or maybe he doesn't like coming out? He seemed really sluggish and tired yesterday and fell asleep outside of his hide which he has never done before. My temps are all normal, 80 on the cool side 91 on the hot 112 basking spot. UVB 10.0, humidity 80%. I've been feeding ground turkey, ground duck, ground rabbit all with the bone in it and occasionally an egg.

So what I'm asking I guess is if this is normal or not.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes it is normal. Just leave the lights on and wait until he is down for at least a week or two. You can shorten the time the lights are on though.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Not yet Godzilla is still up he.doesn't eat a lot everyday but he is up just lazy walks around and lays on his bedding

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Deac77

5 Year Member
Kirby is still up and going hasn't even slowed eats a ton daily and wakes Jo by 10am naps off and on all day but always looking for more attention it seems

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Niles has slowed way down ...hasn't wanted food really in like a week.every now and then comes out to warm a bit then back hiding.was cool bodied today.I snuggled with him a bit then tried to feed.he walked right over it.no interest.when I put him back he went right back under his burrow...I'm thinking he wants to hibernate.my first tegu so hope I'm doing ok with him.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Melissa

5 Year Member
I am not sure about ours, we just got him Tue and he is only about 8 inches and still green, but he just wants to sleep not eat or anything so maybe...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phi Long