• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

AM I FEEDING TO MUCH

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
When i first got my hatchling tegu in early october i fed him/her once a day every day,crickets,mealworms,waxworms,grass hoppers. After about 3 weeks i started feeding him/her ground turkey,boiled eggs,pinkie mice,ect, I was still feeding once a day everyday these food items. I then found this web-site {tegu talk} and i read that young tegus should be fed as much as they will consume in the first year of their lives. I started keeping the food bowl full all day long of turkey and pinky mice with eggs and the tegu has doubled in size and weight and sheds everyother week now, He/she also sleeps alot more to. HE /SHE is around 18 or 20 inches long and about 3 in wide and like i said has doubled in size. My enclosure is a 7'by3'by3' hot side 86 to 88 basking 108 to 112 cool side 72 and 74 humidity is around 58 to 65.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
Just to add to my question my tegu was about 9 inches when i got it. It is now around 18 to 20 inches.Thats a growth rate of 1 inch plus a week, maybe more because im under estimating its size a little i think.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How old is yours now?

I feed our hatchlings twice a day. Crickets in the morning and turkey in the afternoon. Pinkies once a week as a treat. They're 17" to 18" long at almost 8 weeks old, growing at least an inch per week.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
mine eats about 6 pinkies a week, i was under the impression that pinkies were a good complete meal. Eveyday my tegu gets 1 pinkie mouse and some ground turkey,The next day he gets boiled egg and a small amount of tegu canned food.next day ground turkey and 2 pinkie mice, and so on, Thats kinda my feeding routine. Is this a good diet for a hatchling?

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
im going to assume that my tegu is between 10-12 weeks old i didnt ask when the clutch hatched but it was only 8 or 9 inches when i got it. i got it around the 1st week or two of october this year 08. Im also waiting for clues as to weather its a male or female, how much longer do i have to wait?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mr.tegu said:
mine eats about 6 pinkies a week, i was under the impression that pinkies were a good complete meal. Eveyday my tegu gets 1 pinkie mouse and some ground turkey,The next day he gets boiled egg and a small amount of tegu canned food.next day ground turkey and 2 pinkie mice, and so on, Thats kinda my feeding routine. Is this a good diet for a hatchling?
Pinkies are high in fat and low in calcium.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mr.tegu said:
im going to assume that my tegu is between 10-12 weeks old i didnt ask when the clutch hatched but it was only 8 or 9 inches when i got it. i got it around the 1st week or two of october this year 08. Im also waiting for clues as to weather its a male or female, how much longer do i have to wait?
They normally hatch in July but you never know. He will have to me over 24" to possibly see bumps or spurs at the Cloaca.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
does size at hatching have anything to do with gender,like bigger ones possibly being males versus smaller babies being females

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mr.tegu said:
does size at hatching have anything to do with gender,like bigger ones possibly being males versus smaller babies being females
I've been wonder about that myself. I'm wondering about the biggest ones being male.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
How old is yours now?

I feed our hatchlings twice a day. Crickets in the morning and turkey in the afternoon. Pinkies once a week as a treat. They're 17" to 18" long at almost 8 weeks old, growing at least an inch per week.

Not to thread-hijack but what size pinkies?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029