• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Allow a DEP inspection???

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just as I got our daughter in the shower with the lice shampoo on her head (that's another story!), a woman from the DEP shows up saying they got an anonymous tip that we have "monitor lizards"! They aren't illegal, yet. She said she wanted to take an inventory of what we have so we could be "Grandfathered" if the laws change. But I read that if they determine any reptile is illegal (or change the rules) that it must be surrendered or face penalties!! A friend of ours, who works for the state department of corrections, says they have no right to come in without a warrant (invasion of privacy). I told her she could come back on Sunday at 1pm but we'll probably tell her she can't come in. I don't want to raise any suspicions.

Any suggestions????????

wyattroa

5 Year Member
i would be cautious of this. Did you get a good look at her credentials? Do you know she is legit? I would never allow a stranger in my house. They could be checking the house out for multiple stuff. Unless she has a warrant i would not allow it. Never know it could be someone casing the house to break in too.
robert

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
wyattroa said:
i would be cautious of this. Did you get a good look at her credentials? Do you know she is legit? I would never allow a stranger in my house. They could be checking the house out for multiple stuff. Unless she has a warrant i would not allow it. Never know it could be someone casing the house to break in too.
robert
I have her card. My wife called the number a month ago, when she first left it, and it was the DEP. I think she could have another agenda, looking for other possible "infractions".

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
wow, crazy stuff. i to would not let any strange person in my home. let her get a warrent and be ready to show your animals only then.. but are you sure you dont have anything eles they may be looking for? (reptile wize)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
One thing that bothers me is in another forum the issue of "plain view" came up. Whatever they can see from the street that could raise suspicion could be used to get in the house. We have 2 tanks near the window, but you can't see what's in them. Or get curtains!!!

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
i guess i am confused because if everything you own is legal, why are you worried about it?...last year my son got saminilla and was treated, but the doc asked my wife what pets we had and that opened a can of worms because the county health dept came to our house and took a stool sample and notes on the tegu i own. my sons sickness came from our baby sitters red eared water turtles, the health dept figured that out from test, but it was a crazy situation so i do understand your worries. our phone rang off the hook from county officials and health depts for weeks.

Meg90

5 Year Member
Don't let them in. They have NO RIGHT to come into your house without a warrant. Tell her to eat it until she has the "law" on her side. Grandfathered MY AS.S tell her when the laws change you will get them looked at.

But DO NOT LET THEM search your house. That is a violation of your rights. You are not doing anything illegal, but there are tons of bulljunk rules that she can write you up on.

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
I wouldn't let them in either. Even if you aren't doing anything wrong, they have no right to be in your home and in your business. It's an invasion of your privacy, and tell them to go piss up a rope!

whoru

5 Year Member
i agree i wouldnt let them in either i would tell them to come back with a warrant.....other than that they ant just come i an look around...thats crazy as hell

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu