• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

all new to me

wilsh

5 Year Member
I don't know if it s nothing because i'm new to Tegu behavior, but my Teg seems to close his eyes and breath what looks like to me as quite deep breaths when basking,more so when i'm around.Do you think it could be stress ?I've only had him about 2 weeks and he eats everyday but doesnt poop everyday,but when he go's he go's. My set up is ok humidity is 60 to 70% ,my other concern is my MVB its a solar glo by exo terra 125w I have it 16"+ from the basking surface.Cant find much info on these but they were the only ones in the shop at the time.Maybe I'm worrying about nothing but i'm new so you will have to forgive me.Also is it normal for them to sleep alot on there basking spots when full.

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
Heres MY opinion....

I am quite familiar with the solar glos and I know some will agree with me, that any exo terra uvb product is garbage.. sure its better than nothing.. but their not really strong enough for a growing tegu. Trust me, its one of the contributing factors to mine getting MBD. It should be a little closer as well.. perhaps 12-13" away, as they are not powerful.

Humidity is good, from my understanding, 80% would be even better.

Last.. is the MVB the only heat source on your tegu?? I can almost guarantee (unless he/she is in a really tiny cage) it is not warm enough. When I used the solar glo on my tegu, I used a 160w, along with a 150 tight beam basking bulb, side by side.. this only brought his basking spot to about 105f. Check your temps and pick up another basking light if its not warm enough asap.

wilsh

5 Year Member
Hey and thanx , I am using a 100w spot for extra basking heat + a ceramic (for night)but i shall raise the basking rock a few inches he/she probably could do with it being a bit warmer .You see i ve read some storys about crap lights UV being too powerful and damaging eyes. (something conjunctivitus too late too look it up)Definitly will be changing to a more trusted brand of mvb.
thnx :roon

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
the only bulbs i have heard that cause eye problems are the coil compact bulbs.. their could be others, but these are the only ones ive heard of. get a power sun, or mega ray!!

wilsh

5 Year Member
well followed your advice and moved the basking spot within 12" of my expensive but **** solar glo mvb and the basking rock temp up to 108 f .
He seems way more active, eating and pooping more and dosent seem as grumpy
thanks dargonqueen4
ill post some picks later

jmiles50

5 Year Member
I think what your thinking of is basically like flash burn in welder's or a sunburn to the eye's. The only thing "I think" that needs to be done for that is reducing the UV exposure!!!

wilsh

5 Year Member
Well its a girl, 99% sure may explain the slightly timid behavior as ive heard they tend to be more shy than the males.I'm just wondering if anyone knows a site I can get good quality mvb bulbs, not forgetting I'm in England.All the local shops only sell Exoterra and I just don't trust them.
I am also Tegu proofing my garden so she can go outside once summer kicks in.
I'm gonna use a big outdoor spotlight to up the basking spot temp . Any sun has gotta be better than no sun right,what do ya think?

found a uk site for megaray mvb
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/mega-ray-c-50.html?osCsid=f6159abe512e7c96656dbf9829df0ed7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/meg ... 9829df0ed7</a><!-- m -->

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu