• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

agressive tegu

Mcfarland66

5 Year Member
my new tegu used to not rely care about if we were there or not but here recently he has ben walking up to us and then trying to bite us and has bite us once what can we do to make him not think that we are food or an enemy and not bite us :bang

kingbenny

5 Year Member
Have you been feeding him by hand? They can also get enclosure aggressive, has he only now really settled into his viv and become protective of it?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Did you have any strange scents on you, perhaps of food or other animals? How old is it? Tegu's are said to go through a puberty type phase were they are all the sudden unruly for a month or two then go back to their old selves.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the TeguTalk community, glad you joined us!! :)

Here is some good info that will help you:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?t=21</a><!-- l -->

Mcfarland66

5 Year Member
how old are they when they hit the puberty phase and the tegu is about three years old so they told us at the pet shop. and the one time i was frying bacon but here recently he chased me across the room for no good reason i was not cooking or anyhting i i had just let him out of his enclosure and was about to set down

Schnab

5 Year Member
How long is it? A 3 year old would atleast be 3 or 4 feet long depending on it's growth rate. And since your tegu has issues that need work, maybe it would be best not to let him freeroam just yet. You'r tegu sounds like he's either not fully trustworthy of you or he's going threw puberty. If he's being fed in his enclosure, this may also be food aggression.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They go through the "puberty" phase between 6 & 9 months, but not the whole time. If an adult attacks you he doesn't trust you. He should be in an area where he can observe your daily life but not be threatened. He also needs to feel secure, not exposed on all sides. It may take a month or two of work but you should see a change, sometimes dramatic.

Our B&W we sold went through a 3 week phase (at about 14-15 months old) where he wanted to attack anything that went near him! Then one day he realized I wasn't a threat anymore (or whatever else was pissing him off) and he became docile again. Totally weird.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.