• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

aggressive gold

lucas6931

Can someone please give me advice on how to tame my gold tegu he is extremely aggressive and is not getting any better with me handling him every day please help

Jrock23

You have to be patient with your gold, it takes time for them to gain your trust. The aggressiveness that they can have isn't that bad. I've tamed reticulated pythons and Nile monitors and amazon tree boas.. You hand to understand that gold tegus are so cage aggressive at times but will grown out of it. Question how long have you have your gold tegu and how long did you allow him/her to settle in before you started handling.. Here is a few tips, repeat the words over and over with each handling session 15mins or less, its ok your safe and i love you and everything will be fine don't freak out. As you handling feed your tegu something and slowly try to rub his/her back.. Let your tegu lick you to get your scent. it will take time so don't rush things.. But do not do the water taming technique because you are focusing your gold into submission.. I have I alot of tips, also to prevent getting bit put a glove on one hand.. Allow your tegu to kind of feel you out. If you are freaking out while handling, it will make them freak out as well..

lucas6931

I have had him just over a month and I let him settle for about two days before I started handling him. So I need to just keep holding him for about 15 minutes a day and rub his back while holding him?

Jrock23

Sorry but 2 days is not enough time for any animal to settle in... You want to give at least a 4-6 weeks of settling in time before handling.. They need time to adjust to the new home and environment.

Jrock23

I would just leave your tegu alone for about a month.. Handling too early can also get them to be stressed.. just still offer food daily but no handling and open your cage and talk to your lizard. Let him/her constantly hear your voice. Its up to you but you can put something of yours with your scent on it and put it inside the enclosure

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus