• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Aesop's A Bully

slideaboot

5 Year Member
A few months ago, I had Aesop and Francis roaming around at the same time, like I'd done every day for a couple of months, and he went after her. He was running at her, mouth open, literally chasing her around the room until I could break it up.

So, I stopped letting them roam at the same time, letting Francis put on some size. She's still a little less girthy than him, but not by much--they're probably within a pound of each other.

Anyway, because she's put on some size and a few months had passed, I thought I'd let them roam again together to see if Aes had gotten over it. Everything was cool for about 10 minutes, they were crawling over each other and whatnot, cruising around. But, sure enough, Aes tried biting Francis. Francis ran away, and of course, Aesop chased her, mouth open.

These guys are from last year's clutches...

Will they EVER get over this? I know I'm trying to sell them, but if for some reason I wind up keeping them, I'd like to be able to have them out at the same time (it literally doubles the time I have to spend with them when I have to have them out separately).

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks, dudes!

checkersthetegu

Im stumped...you could try getting some sort of dog gate up between them if you just want to save time that is if the room is small enough. You could also try getting a leash for Aseop and just tie him up to something so he can't chase after Francis. Is Aseop mean towards you or just francis?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've never dealt with tegu breeding, but I wonder if it has something to do with it.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Rango would try to mount the hybrid the first few times they were together. He'd have his hemipenis out, bite his neck, the whole nine yards. I'm not sure what changed but they seem to be fine now, Rango no longer jowl pops or has any dominant behaviors. Guru hasn't met the hybrid yet, he had tried to mount Gary and Rango... I'm not sure if he will play nice or not.
Yours could be because of breeding behavior, is Aesop is leaving sperm plugs he might be of that size and age. He could also just be territorial. I like the baby gate idea, it could work very well. Some people have used chicken wire to separate tegus in an enclosure, I know yours aren't housed together but I think it could still work. They'd be able to smell each other and see each other but not get to each other.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Baby gate's a cool idea. I'd love for them to be able to co-exist. It'd save me a HELLUVA lot of cage space. Do you guys think they'd EVER get used to each other if I implemented such a method? Like would they finally get over the aggression and just co-exist? Or am I living in a dream world?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu