• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

A sad but potentially good rescue

dorton

5 Year Member
I had a call from the local pet shop about a turtle getting ran over.
I got to the persons house to find a large snapping turtle that had
been killed by a truck, and trailer. When the turtle was killed, it split the shell open exposing 15 bright white unruptured eggs still in the sac.
I have them sitting in my basement incubating right now in the hopes they were far enough along to completely develop.
I'll post updates if any become available.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh man, that's upsetting. I'm glad that you managed to salvage the eggs...I hope for the best.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
15 snapping turtles isnt always the best recipe for an area but good luck on hatching them, its always exctiting having eggs

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Good luck hatching them. But Most eggs are covered with a slim as they are laid. This slim keeps them from molding and such. They may hatch any way. I used to have chameleons they would die egg bound . I have tried several times to hatch the eggs after removing them from the fresh corpse. I never had any luck with them. They always seemed to mold and look bad. But it's worth a try anyway.

nat

5 Year Member
any updates? That's great of you to be trying... lord knows the turtle populations need all the help they can get! Especially now that there is one less adult female in the world

dorton

5 Year Member
Unfortunately about half are not looking so well.
But good news is about 5 still look really good.
I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Sorry to hear that. I was afraid it would happen. The ones closer to the birth canal going out . May hatch still. Don't give up just yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus