• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

A British Columbia man may lose his finger.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=1f708c07-81c0-4176-8d83-2cb24b99e608&k=67874">http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story ... 08&k=67874</a><!-- m -->

SURREY, B.C. -- A British Columbia man may lose his finger after he was bitten by a poisonous cobra for which B.C. hospitals do not carry an anti-venom.

Jason Hansen, 36, was bitten Thursday by a pet cobra at his home in Surrey, B.C., which is about 30 kilometres southeast of Vancouver.

While the bite was "dry" and the snake did not release venom, the neurotoxins in its saliva have damaged the tissue in Hansen's hand, friend Dalvin Corrival said Saturday.

"He's in danger of losing his hand. His finger is turning black and his arm is four times the normal size. He needs an anti-venom."

But Corrival said doctors at Surrey Memorial Hospital are not willing to give Hansen an anti-venom, deciding instead to "wait and see." On Friday morning, Corrival's friend, a snake expert who has developed an anti-venom, sent a dose by air from northern B.C.

The doctors would not administer it.

"They won't treat him, and his arm is just getting worse and worse," said Corrival, adding he plans to file a complaint against the hospital.

But Fraser Health spokesman Stephen Harris said it's "up to the doctors to make the best clinical decision."

"A doctor cannot administer a drug without knowing what it is," he added, referring to the anti-venom provided by Corrival's friend.

Hospitals in B.C. do not keep specific and expensive anti-venoms for exotic snakes, carrying only rattlesnake anti-venom for species native to the Okanagan.

And if doctors decide to treat a patient with an anti-venom, the dose would have to be shipped from Seattle or Drumheller, Alta., said Debra Kent, supervisor of the B.C. Poison Control Centre.

"When private collectors keep snakes, . . . whose job is it to supply the anti-venom?" asked Kent. "There is a process (to get anti-venom in an emergency), but it's not one I'd personally count on if I needed it for a cobra bite."

On hearing of the attack, animal rights activists said it's another example of why exotic pet ownership should be regulated in B.C.

"Why is it that there are no regulations for these animals?" said SPCA spokeswoman Lori Chortyk. "Without regulations, nobody has any idea who owns (them). The neighbours might not even know there's a poisonous snake next door."

dorton

5 Year Member
I hate it for the guy, but If I had some exotic hot, I would make sure I had the anti venom myself. I would love to keep some hots, not exotic, but just copperheads, but its just too much of a risk if one gets loose in the house.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I kept them years ago, but not anymore unless it is a rescue. Here in Florida the law is pretty strict, locking cages or at least kept in very secure ones. Also the Fish and game can come and inspect them at random without notice, and you must hold a valid permit.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Well it sounds like that even if he had a antivenom, the hospital wouldn't administer it unless they were able to verify it's history. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Looks like it's time to self medicate. I would tell the doctor to stuff it. Oops I accidentally slammed the needle.

nat

5 Year Member
ah man, I feel for the guy, I really do but as someone who as lobbied in my home town AND provincially to not out right ban exotics (which they are trying somewhat successfully to do here in B.C.), this is just another kick in the stomach. I just finally after 2.5 years got city council to allow amphibians as pets.. yes FROGS and snakes was my next target.

as for the anti venom. I would check myself out of the hospital and administer it myself.

But don't get my wrong, I am all for permits, and guidelines and so on and so forth to keep dangerous animals. I think its horrid that you can buy a burmese python for less expensive than most corn snakes in the pet stores.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
i wonder if this is just another reason why reptiles are being so misjudged now days? i read the article yesterday and people needs to show some respect for the guy, there are some reptiles that shouldn't be kept as pets in certain places, and i thought this was a free land, we choose to keep what we want as pets

nat

5 Year Member
its too oversimplified to sum it up as that. When you are talking about animals that can hurt people (including those who didn't choose to keep it as a pet) and the wide spread abuse, neglect, and black market activity that these animals are exposed to, there has to be limits and boundaries. I am not for a complete across the board ban on animals, as the spca and the government are BUT I am in favor of definate restrictions and laws to keep the animals and people safe. We do the same for people who want to keep tigers and lions, and other large potentially dangerous animas, why not reptiles?

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
nat said:
I think its horrid that you can buy a burmese python for less expensive than most corn snakes in the pet stores.

Oh man are you right. How sad is that? Very bad news. I have been teaching people at pet stores in my area what good starter reptiles are. I see people everyday leaving PetCo with an iguana, or a Red Tail, or a fisty little Ratsnake (although not dangerous, slightly agressive), Chinese Water Dragon's, Veileds, and Savs and it makes me crazy. Is it not possible for a basic knowledge of reptiles be available?

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I should be doing something more productive, but hey, if anybody hears any updates, please let me know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980