• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

A bit confused.

Skyshadow

So I am hoping to get my first Tegu from TegusOnly in April. I have been doing a lot of reading but I'm hitting a fair amount of conflicting info so I've got a few questions.

What are the ideal basking temps for a younger tegu? I've seen between 95-120. Also, what should cool temps be?

Our house gets pretty chilly at night, in the mid 60s generally so I'm guessing I'll need something for overnight?

I've always hated the UVB regular bulbs instead of tubes but a lot of people seem to use them?

As far as feeding goes I've read feeding ground turkey is a healthy option then I've ready turkey is terrible and to only feed whole prey. What's the best option?

How often would a 13-25" Tegu eat? Once or twice a day or every other day?

Also, I'd prefer to feed in the enclosure than out. I plan on feeding on a rock to keep mess down and to have a bio active soil to help with mess. I've read some people do feed in cage their whole life and some never do.

Also, I'm building a wood enclosure. How do I keep the humidity up? I have snakes in animal plastics cages that I have to mist constantly to keep the humidity up. Can I use a mister or is it needed? I always just soak the ecoearth during sheds. Is that the best option for Tegus?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I can help with a few of your questions. Basking temps using two lights to avoid localized burn around 115-120. Other end of cage have a hide that should be in mid-70s. Don't care how you do it. Food always offered on clean surface to avoid impaction from substrate. Young one'll feed every other day or so. Allow to eat its fill. Mostly whole animal prey, such as appropriately-sized mice. Include some high quality wet dog food, organ meat, some fruit. Add calcium powder to each meal. Give lots of love and attention.

Others can help with other questions or improve on this.

Good job on buying from Rodney.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu