• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

8 month old with twitching leg

Jennifer Frossard

I have an 8 month old that has twitching in his right leg. I called the vet this mourns they can’t get him in till Tuesday. He has a UVB tube that runs the length of his enclosure. His temps on the cool side is 85, hot side 95, and basking at 120. His humidity is at 75%. He gets a mouse every Saturday and I dust his food with calcium and D3 every other day. What am I doing wrong? I am so worried about him.

TripleTegus

It sounds like your doing everything right from here. Maybe a little more humidity. Unfortunately things just happen sometimes that are totally out of your control. I don't think a leg twitch is detrimental so you would probably be alright until Tuesday I would say.

Dylan koch

I would give supplements with d3 maybe uvb light is defective? Also in my opinion a 8 month old needs to eat alot more often than once a week!! I suggest feed daily or every other day until adult

Jennifer Frossard

Thanks everyone. I do feed him twice a day everyday, sorry if I was confusing about that. The vet took xrays and blood work and he is perfect. She thinks he sprained his foot some how and has put him on a pain killer. Thanks for all the answers you guys gave!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's good news. A relief, even.

Not a bad idea to vary amount a t feeding and even skip a day from time to time. Let him clean out his GI tract.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I agree with the others about feeding. I think yours is old enough to not be eating every day. When they're babies, they need food every day, but I noticed my female just naturally wasn't even interested to eat every day when she was 8 mos.

We had someone else recently that had a twitchy tegu leg prob - so this is good info for future reference.

Jennifer Frossard

Thanks everyone. Should I cut back to once a day then every other day. He eats all his food for breakfast and dinner. Also, is he to old for insects? He refuses to even look at them. I’m new to all this so helpful advice is surely welcomed!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks everyone. Should I cut back to once a day then every other day. He eats all his food for breakfast and dinner. Also, is he to old for insects? He refuses to even look at them. I’m new to all this so helpful advice is surely welcomed!

Yes you can cut back the feeding times, and no, he's not too old, but he might not like insects and is happy with other stuff you feed. At 8 months, I kind of tried to let my female let me know when she was hungry. I had already been told to only feed once every other day by the Tegusonly guy down in Florida when I purchased my year old male, so I went with his advice and it's worked for 2 yrs now.

Everyone here looks forward to questions.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Alpha did exactly the same with insects at about that age and one day just decided he no longer liked them.

Also at 8 months and coming into summer I believe your tegus appetite will be through the roof..... I'd cut down to once a day to save on messing around but be warned bigger portions may be needed....

That summer Alpha (Colombian Tegu) was doing 5 mice EVERY DAY or equivalent in a variety of stuff .......... TO NOW.......... 3 mice or equivalant every 2 to 3 days.

Don't know if others had the same experience.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Alpha did exactly the same with insects at about that age and one day just decided he no longer liked them.

Also at 8 months and coming into summer I believe your tegus appetite will be through the roof..... I'd cut down to once a day to save on messing around but be warned bigger portions may be needed....

That summer Alpha (Colombian Tegu) was doing 5 mice EVERY DAY or equivalent in a variety of stuff .......... TO NOW.......... 3 mice or equivalant every 2 to 3 days.

Don't know if others had the same experience.

I agree - and from Tegu to Tegu it can vary. But, mine go hide after I've exhausted their appetite - for that 2-3 day time period. So - I'd say my Tegus have landed into a similar rhythm. I don't feed as many mice, but they get at least 1 along with other meats/fish on feed days.

Last edited:

Godzilla Earth

I agree - and from Tegu to Tegu it can vary. But, mine go hide after I've exhausted their appetite - for that 2-3 day time period. So - I'd say my Tegus have landed into a similar rhythm. I don't feed as many mice, but they get at least 1 along with other meats/fish
My snake, (who escaped again today) also does the same. as soon as he eats, he stays in his hiding spot for days

Jennifer Frossard

Ok, I’m beyond confused. My guy has lose stools so back to the vet we went. They found parasites. How could he have gotten parasites? I understand how my beardie can get them or my gecko but Nigel doesn’t eat insects or worms. Do I need to clean his entire enclosure out now. Thank you for all your help.

Godzilla Earth

yeah, cleaning the cage would be a good idea, mabey some fly came and got into the water bowel and relesed a bunch of parisited but idk

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I would def disinfect and then clean with a mild soap, or reptile cleaner. Throw out the substrate....etc. Might be that all that isn't necessary, but how do we know?

Jennifer Frossard

I just don’t get it? I’m stumped about this whole thing. I will have to go to Lowe’s and buy all new substrate for him and clean his house thoroughly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phi Long