• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

8 inches in 5 months

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Well, I actually think he's behind schedule growth-wise, but he's had to do a fair bit of traveling since I got him. The stress definitely played a role in his size. Since I've been at school, he's been doing much better and eats like a pig. He's grown 8 inches in 5 months, which is great. I'd be interested to see the sizes of his tank mates and see how they've grown. I bet he'd be in the lead. I picked him out of a group that looked like they'd been bullied. He was the fatty.

The same goes for my Argus. She ripped off the legs of her tank mates (I know, it's frightening). It's always best to go for a winner.
EdgarMeasurementMarch08.jpg

EdgarHead.jpg

EdgarHand2.jpg

Take a look at the muscular front arms. Also, notice of the crest of the head suddenly dips right before the nose. Overall, the head is very angular. Females tend to have a daintier build and softer, sloping features on the head. I'm guessing male, but monitors are tricky. We'll have to see. Any other guesses?

My buddy has an adult male, so I was kind of hoping for a female, but that's ok. I'm looking forward to give a shot at breeding these in the future. There's been a low success rate, and they can take years to acclimate, but it's worth a try. I'd love to stop the importation of wild roughnecks.

Thanks all.

-Chris

AB^

5 Year Member
Looks good, tail looks a little kinked up in the top pic, but the last pic that rudicollis looks in great shape. Though as far as rough necks go I'm a huge fan of Varanus dumerilii, nearly purchased one of Ben allers offspring he had at the EBV last year. Oh well, I'll get a varanid someday. I'd like to see some enclosure pictures if you have any. You ever talk to the treemonitor guys or go in their chat?

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I don't know the tree monitor guys.

His tail actually is flawless. If you look closely, you can tell it's just pixelation.

Ben is an awesome guy. He works with rudis too, but has had most success with dumerils. I plan to follow in his footsteps and work with both species on a large level in the future.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Nice photos and nice looking Rudi. I'm jealous. But, you are motivating me to get some photos of my dumerils. He has grown at a nice steady rate, not too fast and not too slow, but continuous. He's the funniest darned lizard! Maybe this weekend I'll get some new shots.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
I like the way the rough necks look more than any other monitors. In every picture I see it always looks like their thinking and calculating like my tegu, a real sign of brains and things in motion, I Love it.

AB^

5 Year Member
Now that I'm looking at the pics with a higher quality moniter (at work) I can see there is no flaws in the tail, my mistake.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
It's all good. I'd like him even if his tail was messed up.

Coldthirst: Monitors have made it hard to keep any other lizard because of what you said. They're very intelligent animals. My lizard recognizing me specifically and interacts with me in a more trusting manor that someone he's never met before. Roughnecks in particular are fun, because they climb, dig, and swim. Just more things to watch and enjoy. Plus, they never bite, and are easier to take out for cleaning and tank maintenance than say my argus, who I would compare to a small thrashing crocodile.

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
Small thrashing crocodile sounds like a lot of fun :), Sounds like what I have now hahaha. I would really like to spend more time with my tegu, but it just sleeps under the mulch all the time. And if its not under the mulch, it's heating up on the basking rock, and if you try to get him out before he's warmed up, hes really pissed off, so I wait until hes done and then when he's done, he just goes back to sleep. I'm hoping that when it gets warmer he will stay awake longer so I can calm him down and handle him more. But the never bites thing sounds really cool, but you know what happens when you say never...

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
ColdThirst: If he's defensive, he's healthy. At least you have that to be happy about. It's the tegus and monitors that lie around like limp sacks of potatoes the worry me.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I had an argument with my mom the other day about tegus and monitors.. She tried telling me they cant the difference in people like her dogs can. And i laughed at her (which was probly wrong of me now that i think of it)..I told her to come over when Jer is at my house and see how much she loves him..but hates me.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
My monitor definitely knows I am the bringer of food and tongs are welcome. However, if I open his cage without tongs in hand and don't reach for his water dish or food bowl, he knows I have to bother him and starts freaking out.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He is beautiful.. I have been thinking about getting a black tree monitor.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
They're very delicate, not a beginner monitor. But if you're good with reptiles, maybe your up to it. My friend Ed has a female rescue that he's trying to get rid of. It came to him with a horrible, blood covered nose from rubbing, but has healed nicely. He may want to give it to someone with a lot of monitor experience, but I can ask if you like.

I can give you some more info if you like. Treemonitors.com may help too.

I sent you a PM by the way.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would love you to find out for me!! I have ownd water monitors before, but thats it.. But i think tree monitors are so beautiful and delicate looking.

hoosier

5 Year Member
HEY YOU SHOULD POST SOME PICS OF YOUR ARGUS! PLEEEASSSEEE?? lol i love the panoptes. especially panoptes horni :)

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
shiftylarry said:
ColdThirst: If he's defensive, he's healthy. At least you have that to be happy about. It's the tegus and monitors that lie around like limp sacks of potatoes the worry me.

Well he's not as bad as I say he is, hes just fine when you handle him. it's just that here lately hes been acting up alot and I was assuming that its from not enough contact from me now that I'm gone alot, but still nice, but you can't hold him for as long as you could before, he just wants to get down all the time now for some reason, but yes very defensive in his cage or his home I might say and then gets over it if hes out and about prowling my apt. for somthing to assasinate :)

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
These pics are from 2 years ago. Don't judge! I know I look like I'm 12.
Angie3.jpg

Angie1.jpg

Angie2.jpg

She's currently at home with the folks. There's no space in my dorm for her 8x4x6.

-Chris

Beazer

5 Year Member
Roughnecks are so underrated. I just love their look in general. Very nice looking one you got. Keep us updated on him/her. Nice argus by the way. Does it tripod a lot for you? Lol, and dont worry about how you look. I feel your pain. Everybody thinks I'm a lot younger than I really am. Some say its good for when you get older but all I can think is "bs".

-Jon DeLong

hoosier

5 Year Member
Love the argus! beautiful creature and i love the attitude.
and yes you look like you are 12. lol jk :jes i too look younger if i let my hair grow out. right now its only about 1'' tall so im good. lol

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I'm glad roughnecks are underrated. It makes me glad to own one, and it just means that a smaller percentage of them will have to die and become a lesson learned for inexperienced keepers. I bet a good 95% of all monitors imported don't make it past one year. I always see baby monitor posts in other forums, but not many people have adults.

The argus tripods all the time, especially when she wants food or hears me coming to towards the enclosure. They're great lizards, but NOT PETS, and by that I mean they are not bearded dragons. Think of them as aquarium fish without water. Look, don't touch, and you'll have a wonderful experience with your monitor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus