• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

4-30-2014 I NEED IMEDIATE ASSISTANCE!

HelpForSwissgar

Hi, I have 11 moth old black and white Tegu named Swissgar. I took him off a friend's hands who had no idea what he was doing with him, as I will tell in a second. I adopted him about a month ago, and did my introductory research and now understand a problem which may have given him complications, leading up to this point. Sometime during his unfortunate stay with my friend, he developed MBD, which is why his back legs won't work, and his spine between his rear legs is arched. He is currently just under 14 inches, and since I got him I've been feeding him bananas, turkey, and watermelon, with supplements as well. Today he was his usual not so cheery self, but climbed out of his burro, and just sat up on his shelf. I went over to his tank and picked him up in my hand and held him for a bit, he seemed tired, but alive. He moved around his tank for a bit and then set himself back up upon his shelf. About 4 hours passed and I saw him, just sitting there on his shelf, so I went to pick him up again. This is where my emergency is, I picked him up and he was stiff and cold, not moving and his eyes are half open. Is he dead or brumating? I don't understand what is happening? I understand that during brumation tegus breathing slows and heart beat slowed dramatically, but do they stiffen? His 3.5ftx2.5ft tank with a UVB is at a constant 85degrees at night, and during the day his tank gets to about 95 degrees. I am very afraid that he may have passed tonight, but I have heard of strange **** that tegus can do, it is 10:40 at night and the nearest HERP vet is 180 miles away. Please tell me that the little guy is just sleeping, and that he is not off to the farm in the green countryside.

marydd

Well that does not sound good. I have never had a reptile not respond when I pick them up. But my tegu has not brumated. If he is still alive and the back legs are not working then it really is suffering. You need to see a vet and the best thing for it may be to end his suffering. Please do not be offended, it sounds like you are a wonderful person to take on a rescue tegu with such problems. I do hope he is ok and can be rehabilitated. Good luck.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree that he needs to go to a vet ASAP. Any updates on how his is doing on this moment? Are his temps elevated for the time being? When did he last eat? I'm doubtful he would just slip into brumation like that - so quickly without any other change in habits...
Please give us an update ASAP

HelpForSwissgar

I'm afraid he's gone guys. Thanks guys for your suggestions, but I just needed to have some time to determine if the longshot would payout and he just be hibernating, but it's morning now, and he has not even moved a micron from the way he was laying in his tank. I guess the little fella is in a better place now. His name was Swissgar, and he was the coolest creature I've ever known. I'm not sure why he died, as even though he was not so cheery, he did walk around his tank daily, basked, and ate his foods. Again perhaps it was complications caused by the MBD, but I thought that my regiment of neutriants and calcium helped. Maybe it did help, but he's gone now, and even though I did not know him very long, it was long enough, and I'll miss him very much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu