• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

2 tegu housing question

G

i have an adult tegu about 4 years old an is a female my other is a little guy maybe about a year or 2 old haven't measured him yet but i say 1 1/2 to 20 ft long my question was can i house the 2 together i had them in the tub together an didn't seem to have any problems little one climbed on the big ones back an they just floated around for awhile i don't know how they would feel about being in the same enclosure together the enclosure for the big one is 7 ft long 5 ft wide so their is sap for the 2 would tis be a bad idea for the smaller to be in the same space as the big one

G

I would be very hesitant to house two tegus of dissimilar size in the same enclosure... [Maybe in time ]

Things may look good for some time but I would guess you will come home to a problem [expensive one ]

That dosn`t mean that they can`t interact at times under supervision tho ...

I have some feeders you may be interested in for that 20 footer ..........

DSC00489.jpg

G

My two hang out together every day, the goal is when the little one is big enough to throw him in the big ones tank. But you really gotta watch them.

Ahhh! I want a pig!

G

lol i meant to say 1 1/2 to 2ft not 20ft geese i think a 20ft tegu would weird me out
but i will try the supervision thing an see how it goes off and on thx for the input

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
a 5' x 7' enclosure is a huge enclosure to have in our house, but it's not a huge enclosure to live in...

an 8' x 4' enclosure (32 sq feet) is the recommended minimum for a male with 6' x 3' (18 sq ft) recommended for a female. You are hoping to keep one of each in your 7' x 5' (35 sq ft)... To me that math doesn't add up.

For me to feel comfortable to keep two Tegus together I would need to have two basking areas as well as two cool down areas and two at least two hides, preferrably more (two warm hides & two cool hides). A 7' x 5' just doesn't sound large enough for all of that.

Animals (just like people) will compete for resourses any time they feel resources are limited. Naturally the tougher Tegu will take the good basking spot as well as the good resting spot as well as whatever else it prefers. The weaker will be forced to 'settle' for what's left. Which is why it's important to supply two ideal spots of each type. If not the weaker animal will live in constant stress. While this 'stress' may not be life threatening moment to moment, those moments do add up.

Also if one Tegu decides it is intolerant of the other, even if just for a few minutes, a 7' x 5' just doesn't give the weaker Tegu the opportunity to get far enough away from the upset Tegu.

eddyjack

Montana, wonder why your piggy can't lift her head? Same dam reason the Tegu earlier can't lift his! Git her a sling er somethin, she's draggin her important parts on the ground. Ha Ha Ha I really appreciate someone that takes good care of the animals. Thanks Montana!

Kork

Why not a 20 foot Tegu have you seen the 14ft Bearded Dragon......LOL
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/giant-bearded-dragon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/giant- ... ragon.html</a><!-- m -->

Kork

frost said:
there is no way that can be 14 feet. that would be cool tho.[/qu

It is a video made up with the Blue/Green screen thing. Take a person or animal and tape it in front of one of these screens and then edit in what you want. I just posted it because of a typo about the 20 foot tegu when they actually meant 2 foot. I think some fun videos can be made from this idea though. Would be really cool to have one of Varnyards Extreme Giants tearing up a city, Do I sence a new style Godzilla or even Jurassic Varnyard :yik ..............LOL

G

Shoot !!!!

I was going to harness them up like on JOHNNY QUEST....

I want to tear up cities !!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu