• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

1st tegu, 1st enclosure build!

Maverick&Goose

Just wrapped up my first enclosure build! I have a 2 month old B&W. Came out pretty decent. 4x2x4. Should have went 3 tall, not 4, but the temps and humidity are staying spot on. Only spent $110 total using plywood and acrylic and other odds and ends. Melamine is the way to go, but it would have put the price on the build out range for me at the moment. Goose outgrew his breeder tank so fast! I sealed all of the interior with drylock (it took so many coats!) and lined the floor and bottom 8 inches with a single plastic sheet to make it totally water tight. I've got a bioactive sand and soil substrate and added a couple live plants for extra humidity. We'll see how long the plants live. :) He's got two totally hidden hides under the substrate. I think I've got one happy gu.
20160819_172831.jpg
20160819_171927.jpg
20160819_171912.jpg
20160817_104911.jpg
20160819_172831.jpg

It looks like a really nice build, Well done my friend. Only think is you're gonna have to make it bigger at some point in the future. But for now it's looking fine. Good job

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If I can make a suggestion to consider, next enclosure to be raised 3 ft off the ground.

DangerousDann

Brings the tegu closer to you. Your reach won't be from a predatory angle that will scare it.
LOL, I was gonna ask the same question... I don't remember if you told me that before. Dozer's enclosure was built on floor level, but I also get on the ground when I open his cage and when I interact with him, so I guess that still makes sense since i'm on his level.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
LOL, I was gonna ask the same question... I don't remember if you told me that before. Dozer's enclosure was built on floor level, but I also get on the ground when I open his cage and when I interact with him, so I guess that still makes sense since i'm on his level.
It helps, eapecially with very toyng ones.

DangerousDann

It looks like a really nice build, Well done my friend. Only think is you're gonna have to make it bigger at some point in the future. But for now it's looking fine. Good job
I agree, it looks good and roomy for a young tegu, but yeah, sometime in the Near future your gonna want to go to 8 feet long, My Dozer is just over a year old and is significantly larger now than he was a year ago when I got him. I've posted many progress videos of Dozer (look in the Chaco/Extreme Giant section of this site, you can see just how fast they grow) from the day I got him (September 5th last year) till now, and he is just about 4ft long and pretty girthy. I was very shocked at how fast he grew, but the make awesome pets, and he's just as affectionate as my dogs are.

Maverick&Goose

I'm already working in plans for my next build. 8x4x3. Melamine is the way to go I think. Plus, I have some design flaws I need to correct. Too tall, the door is too big (it really gets in the way when it's open, a sliding door will be better). I like the raised enclosure idea for several reasons. I should be an to knock it out in a month or so. Pretty excited about it.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree, it looks good and roomy for a young tegu, but yeah, sometime in the Near future your gonna want to go to 8 feet long, My Dozer is just over a year old and is significantly larger now than he was a year ago when I got him. I've posted many progress videos of Dozer (look in the Chaco/Extreme Giant section of this site, you can see just how fast they grow) from the day I got him (September 5th last year) till now, and he is just about 4ft long and pretty girthy. I was very shocked at how fast he grew, but the make awesome pets, and he's just as affectionate as my dogs are.
Dog-tame, as they say!!

I'm already working in plans for my next build. 8x4x3. Melamine is the way to go I think. Plus, I have some design flaws I need to correct. Too tall, the door is too big (it really gets in the way when it's open, a sliding door will be better). I like the raised enclosure idea for several reasons. I should be an to knock it out in a month or so. Pretty excited about it.
Yeah I didn't want to say anything, because it looks really good, a great door for viewing inside, but it looks like you don't have any way to access the inside.

One thing you could possibly do is just put the hinges on top, and some kind of latching mechanism to hold it up, then have it flip upwards instead. That would be much more user friendly

DangerousDann

Do you plan on letting your tegu free roam for part of the day? The reason I ask is because you may want to consider access in design, my door acts as a ramp for Dozer to get in and out of his enclosure with hinges on the bottom of the door

Maverick&Goose

Do you plan on letting your tegu free roam for part of the day? The reason I ask is because you may want to consider access in design, my door acts as a ramp for Dozer to get in and out of his enclosure with hinges on the bottom of the door
I do. He is already in his own tegu proof room, the door I have now works good for that. I saw someone who had a raised enclosure with a little ramp for getting back in at will. Thought it was a good idea. I just worry about leaving his door open and letting all the humidity out. Any thoughts on this?

DangerousDann

I do. He is already in his own tegu proof room, the door I have now works good for that. I saw someone who had a raised enclosure with a little ramp for getting back in at will. Thought it was a good idea. I just worry about leaving his door open and letting all the humidity out. Any thoughts on this?
I have dozer in his own room, which is off my bedroom, its 9x9feet and I run a humidifier that I got off Amazon for $40 which keeps the humidity in his room at 90% I also bought a 1gal garden sprayer and I mist his enclosure twice a day which helps get the humidity up to around 95%

Maverick&Goose

I just got a cool mist humidifier too, but I think I'll need a bigger one to keep the room that high. It's a good idea. Any issues with dry wall, mold or paint damage keeping the room in that level of humidity?

DangerousDann

I just got a cool mist humidifier too, but I think I'll need a bigger one to keep the room that high. It's a good idea. Any issues with dry wall, mold or paint damage keeping the room in that level of humidity?
The one I have is a Honeywell and isn't that big (the cheapest one I found) holds about a half gallon and I have it outside his enclosure aimed at the mesh door. I haven't noticed any mold or paint damage.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu