• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

110 Year old living fossil becomes a Dad

ashesc212

5 Year Member
"Now, Henry lives peacefully with Mildred and two other females. Breeders are hoping he'll show interest in Lucy, who is about the same age as Mildred, later this year. Female tuataras only lay eggs every two or three years, so Mildred likely won't be interested."

LOL LOL LOL LOL ... even for an old guy...hahaha.

This is an awesome article btw. Why do they live so long relative to other species? I mean, if a beardie lives about 10 years...that's a huge difference!

dpjm

5 Year Member
Henry is actually quite famous - he was the model for an old New Zealand 5 cent coin which is no longer in use.
nzl021.jpg

It's important to remember that these are NOT lizards. This explains why they differ from lizards in so many ways, most noteably in the morphology of the skull. Although Rhyncocephalia (tuatara) and Squamata (lizards, snakes, amphisbaenians) are accepted as taxonomic sister groups, the split between the two groups likely occurred millions of years ago, giving each group plenty of time to evolve significant differences.

They are also not closely related to dinosaurs. Of all the extant reptiles, dinosaurs are most closely related to crocodilians (and birds). The split between the dinosaur/crocodile/bird group (Archosauria) and the squamate/tuatara group (Lepidosauria) occurred quite a bit earlier than the split between squamates and tuatara.

Usually it is thought that their long life span partly reflects the relatively cold New Zealand climate.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They are one awesome animal, I have only seen pictues, but they are really something.

Schnab

5 Year Member
That is truely amazing. I know that tortoises get very old but I didn't think lizards could too!

homer

5 Year Member
interesting article

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-459702/Last-survivor-dinosaur-age-faces-extinction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ction.html</a><!-- m -->

the look like a cross between a crock and iguana, man what i would do to own one. (only if they weren't close to extinction of course)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980