• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

1,800 monitor lizards seized by Thailand customs

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13010751

Customs officials in Thailand have seized 1,800 protected lizards said to be destined to be sold as food.

The Bengal monitor lizards, stuffed into blue mesh bags and hidden behind fruit, were found in southern Thailand near the Malaysian border.

Lizard meat is valuable and seen as a delicacy in parts of Asia.

Global trade in the monitor lizards is banned and they are protected by law in Thailand and Malaysia.

The Bengal monitors are related to other members of the monitor family, including the world's largest lizard, the Komodo dragon, which can grow to 3m (10ft) long.

One Thai customs official said this batch of monitor lizards was a record haul and suggested they were destined for Chinese kitchens.

"They are from Malaysia and transported through southern Thailand and north-eastern Laos to China for eating," Seree Thaijongrak told the AFP news agency.

"We knew there was a monitor lizard racket... this time it's the largest seizure ever," he said.

Trade in the lizards is banned by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh wow! Look at them,.. they are gorgeous.

That link didn't work for me but try this one :)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1374901/1-800-monitor-lizards-smuggled-Bangkok-sold-food-China.html

Never mind,.. the links are not working,.. must be a spam thing,..I've been banned for it twice already, but Josh is working on it.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Boo lame they weren't working. Yours worked for me. Someone on my FB posted the link and I had to share :angel:
They're gorgeous!

hanniebann

5 Year Member
:[ to be eaten?? look how cute the little guy in the picture is. All tied up, and scaring the hell out of they guy carrying him I'm sure. lol.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
hanniebann said:
:[ to be eaten?? look how cute the little guy in the picture is. All tied up, and scaring the hell out of they guy carrying him I'm sure. lol.

Haha I thought the same thing, I don't think I'd be carrying them around like that, even tied up! Personally I can't imagine lizards tasting that great... I tried gator once but it wasn't for me lol.

hanniebann

5 Year Member
i tried gator jerkey once. it was pretty heavily spiced and was probably the only reason it was so tasty. however i felt like i had committed to ultimate sin after, lol. Ancient and beautiful creatures <3

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol I had it fried I think. It was a while ago at some cajun stand in downtown portland. I sort of felt the same way lol, I know people eat that kind of stuff all the time in other parts of the world, it just seemed weird for some reason though..

I don't know if you guys/gals are into reptile documentaries but I found a few cool ones. I don't want to keep spamming the forum with my posts.. I ran across a sort of series called Life in Cold Blood. It's a BBC program. I think its from the late '90s
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_in_Cold_Blood

I've only seen one so far, it was the desert one but I'm waiting for the others to finish so I can watch 'em. It seems cool so far!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980