• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

You choose my next snake!

Which species of snake should be the newest addition to my happy scaly family?

• Dumeril's Boa (Boa dumerili)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bredl's Python/Centralian Carpet Python (Morelia bredli)

• Coastal Carpet Python (Morelia S. mcdowelli)

• Albino or Sunglow red-tailed boa (Boa constrictor constrictor)

• Other (Please specify)

• Total voters

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, I'm looking to add a new medium/large constrictor to my family of herps. I won't be buying any right now, but probably within a few months.
I'm undecided as to what I'd like to get, and was hoping for input!

I'd prefer something that has the capacity to be fairly friendly/handleable, as I live with my family, but I'm open to any and all suggestions. I have had experience with large constrictors in the past, but I have yet to actually own anything over 5 feet.

I've created a poll including the species that I've been thinking most about lately, as well as an option to post your own idea.

Oh, please post why you picked what you picked!

A little bit of background as to why I picked the listed possibilities:

Dumeril's: Although they don't get that big, they're nice, thick, chunky snakes that are known for being pretty friendly, albeit a bit shy. I've seen some really nice looking, defined patterns available, although the cheaper ones seem somewhat dull.

Bredl's: I really like the hypomelanistic Bredl's pythons that I've seen. They have the capacity to get up to around 8 feet, but it looks like many don't, which would be a downside. They are more heavy-bodied than most of the carpet pythons, which I like. Temperament is a plus as well.

Coastal: Although they don't usually get (proportionally) as thick as most Bredl's do, they typically get a few feet longer. Again, some really nice morphs available with the carpet pythons. Temperament is again a plus. Oh, and I should note that I don't mind a snake being nippy as a baby, as long as it has a good chance of mellowing out with work.

Red-tail boa morph: I'm really attracted to the bright albino-related morphs with these guys. They have the capacity to get somewhat large, although they don't grow that fast, and their eventual size really depends on the norm locale of their lineage (in other words, how big their parents were, and grandparents, etc.) Some locales get bigger than others. Temperaments are typically pretty chill.

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Hmm I had a Dumeril's boa a while back and I honestly would not suggest buying an adult of this species. The one I got was aggressive and struck a lot.

herper9

5 Year Member
Although I am partial to burmese pythons, I voted for the sunglow redtail. They definitely are beautiful snakes. Redtails also have great temperments. The only time I've ever seen a nippy one is when they are juvies.

The captain

5 Year Member
It takes a select breed of keeper to love a dumeril boa.

Mine was a challenging snake. Many of them are.

However they are rewarding! They have feeding issues, mine was very shy as well. But i worked through all the problems and ended up with a snake that was eating well, tame, and down right gorgeous!

If you want a snake to play with all the time, i wouldn't recommend a dum, but if you want a ground boa that looks great in a display, and isn't a red tail, go dumeril. There will be bumps in the road, so realize what you are taking on. My snake would strike the glass until his nose went bloody, and would go off feed
for months. In the end it was worth it, he ended up to be an ideal animal.

And I am pretty sure females get quite large.
dum1.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
Yeah there have been reports of 9 foot 35 pound females I believe, and mine had no feeding issues but he would only eat frozen? Haha I don't count that as an issue, more of a blessing but that is the only feeding oddity I noticed.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hah, great. So far, 2 for each species. 2 for the carpets, 2 for the red tail, and 2 for the dumeril.
Blargh!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
To be quite honest, I'm kinda leaning towards a carpet python. Sure, a sunglow boa would be nice, but I dunno..

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
TeguKid80 said:
Hmmm I say carpet or boa, but in my opinion a boa would get boring and a carpet python would not...

The main reason I was leaning towards a carpet python is that the market seems to be literally flooded with red tails, and carpets aren't as common, at least not yet, although that will probably change. Their popularity is increasing.
If I were to get a red tail, it'd have to be an interesting, out-of-the-norm kind of morph. Also, it seems that carpets seem to be slightly more handleable in general.

Cali 202

5 Year Member
I agree with the blood python. They are amazing and beautiful snakes, I love how short and fat they are! I hope to be getting one within the next year. But out of your choices i'd definatly go with the sunglow, they're so pretty and you can never go wrong with a red-tail =]

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I was in need of a new snake for my educational presentations and wanted a fairly large snake with a dependable temperament, but I didn't want a common boa. While at the Daytona show I was reintroduced, after not seeing any for a long while, to the Argentine boas. I had not seen any offered for sale in several years and I spent quite a bit of time looking over the babies at the show. I decided to purchase one and I think it will be an asset to my program when it's grown up a bit. They are not near as flashy as some of the boa morphs available now but I love the color contrast on them.

I pulled this photo off of the web since I don't have any photos of my little girl yet. (*hint* *hint* Bobby)

pc39.JPG

Beazer

5 Year Member
Im a lil late on the voting lol. But yeah, as far as carpets go, its hard to get pure anything unless they are IJ's or Bredl's and Bredl's are pretty but tend to be boring. Bloods you can set up pretty wicked with leaf litter and stuff and watch them explode from underneath the foliage and grab the rat lol.

-Jon DeLong

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Beazer said:
Im a lil late on the voting lol. But yeah, as far as carpets go, its hard to get pure anything unless they are IJ's or Bredl's and Bredl's are pretty but tend to be boring. Bloods you can set up pretty wicked with leaf litter and stuff and watch them explode from underneath the foliage and grab the rat lol.

-Jon DeLong

Heheh, I just recently put a payment on a Tiger Jaguar Coastal Carpet :3
I'm hopping on the big slithery carpet python train!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980