• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

You all remeber Gonzo right?

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Gonzo was my Coatimundi that i adopted out to what i thougth was a good home...But i am having secound thoughts about it all.. Is there anyway i can turn this guy in? Or get Gonzo back?
Here is the E-mail i receaved from Sean..

To: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->
Sent: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 4:05 pm
Subject: Re: hey
Sorry, I have been sick as hell. We got Gonzo a new cage a week or so ago. He seems to love it. He has been a lot busier lately.LOL. He gets a ton of attention in this cage because everytime someone walks by he grabs you by your shirt and puts his head down to be pet. We let him out for atleast an hour a day twice a day and he is mischevious.. Gets into EVERYTHING!!!! He has gotten a lot nicer and lets me pick him up more with out the nipping. I will try to get some pics soon of him out and around the house.. Sean
Ohhyeah, The cage is a Ferret Nation cage that is 4x3x6 foot...
Gonzo-1.jpg

gonzo1.jpg

Gonzo2.jpg

AND THE E-MAIL I WROTE BACK

Sean you really only take him out twice a day for an hour? are you kidding me??? How would you like to be locked in a room 2 small for you for 22 hours straight? I really dont know what to say.. Im kinda upset with the fact he really only gets out for an hour a day. And i dont know if thats lettuce, But if it is.. I dont know why you would feed him that.. Im sorry Sean I am beginning to think i made a huge mistake.

PLEASE if anyone can give me some feed back on this.. I think i am right on this matter.. a coatimundi needs to be housed in a MUCH MUCH bigger cage then that! They need their own room basicly.And only takes him out for 2 hours a day???!!!

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
You needed to do your homework on the dude you gave it to and made sure he had the right setup if you cared that much, and maybee you ned to mail him a care sheet on them, cuz its obvious that he did not do his homework

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well i knew him..and he asured me that he knew what he was doing.. And i made him promise that if he couldnt take care of him/wanted to sell him that i would gladly take him back. Im so freaking upset over this.. its horrible.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I've talked to a lot of breeders who have remorse about selling off their babies when they find out later they've been killed. I personally know nothing about those animals, and can't help you care-wise, but I can tell you something that might help: Type out (to the best of your ability) a comprehensive caresheet that outlines all the requirements. I know you can't list everything, but in this situation it's better than nothing at all.

This is a hard situation to tackle. Back in New York, where my girlfriend lives, I work the summers as a dog walker. Sometimes, people do certain things with their pets that I don't agree with (acute obesity problems from feeding human food ect.). I tried once or twice to hint at the problems with some nasty results. I even lost a client. People don't like to hear that they're doing something wrong with their animals. They take it as a personal attack. You have to find a way to deal with these people in some fashion though, otherwise they may cut off all conversation and continue to mistreat this animal. It will take some strategy on your part.

Good luck.

-Chris

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He knows what Gonzo needs(he just dosnt want to give him it)... I found a somthing on him on the BOI...I think i might post on there about what i know of him.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh man, that must be really upsetting...gosh, I really don't know what to say. Maybe offer to buy the animal back, if nothing else? Bottom line: if he doesn't change, and if the animal's set-up really is as bad as you say it is (I am in no way suggesting that it isn't), contact your local SPCA, and talk it over with them. Maybe they can help.

I'm really interested in hearing how this pans out...would you mind pm'ing me any info you can get? My father actually works for the SPCA (volunteer), and I could ask him to get me in contact with someone who I can voice your concerns to, and he/she can say what you should and can do.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DZLife said:
Oh man, that must be really upsetting...gosh, I really don't know what to say. Maybe offer to buy the animal back, if nothing else? Bottom line: if he doesn't change, and if the animal's set-up really is as bad as you say it is (I am in no way suggesting that it isn't), contact your local SPCA, and talk it over with them. Maybe they can help.

I'm really interested in hearing how this pans out...would you mind pm'ing me any info you can get? My father actually works for the SPCA (volunteer), and I could ask him to get me in contact with someone who I can voice your concerns to, and he/she can say what you should and can do.

I can try to send you whatever i can... But look up care sheets for Coatimundi's ...He hasnt writin me back which isnt suprising.
I wish i had the money to buy him back.. I woul dhave to offer more then i adopted him out for. which was $400..and right now i cant spend $500 in one sitting..

playlboi

5 Year Member
that really blows.
hope you get it back or at least inform him of the proper way of keeping it.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
contact your local SPCA, and talk it over with them. Maybe they can help.
That's the problem with exotics, people don't know how to take care of them. The SPCA has knowledge that is limited to only a few animals. It would be hard to file a claim for an uncommon animal like this one.

gebris353

5 Year Member
Man that sucks, but yeah ShiftyLarry is right, you still have to talk to him in a polite way, which sucks more. I really know how you feel, last year I went to a kind of zoo where most of the animals they have were rescued and I found a skinny and almost dead tegu, I was so pissed that I was happy I didnt know the guy who let him in those conditions cause he would really had a problem. Check the picture I got, poor buddie:

2000470926999328476_rs.jpg

snakehandler

5 Year Member
I have seen coatmundis in the wild foraging in groups.
I think theyre highly social animals. Housed alone in a cage isnt the best thing for him. i hardly ever sell an animal cuase i know most people dont take as much care about them as i do.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well i received another e-mail from him.. which made me laugh alittle.

To: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->
Sent: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 8:26 am
Subject: Re: hey

You know post whatever you want about me and what ever emails.. You obviously have something wrong with you. Post this.. When you sent me pics, your aopartment was disgusting. I assume that is why you wanted to meet at your dads. you said he was living in a lg kennel which you wanted to give me for him, you also said you didnt take him out much. I meant since I have been sick, pnemounia, I have still been taking him lut for atleast tsice a day for an hr.. WHen I met you , your hair waS MESSY AND GREASY BOTH TIME!!!!.. Your own father put you down for being a bum.. Look up ferret nation. Sorry sweetheart but I paid as much for the cage as I did for him. Fauna classifieds or the tegutalk.com or where ever.. Gonzo is in a very lg cage and has been to the vet. Lettuce,grapes, strawberries, cooked chicked,turkey, and hamburger he gets. Plus I ordered some vitamins and such for him as well. DO NOT CONTACT ME AGAIN!!!!

______
And my response
______

I'm going to post it.. Don't worry.. Cause you cant take care of your animals.. I was being nice in my post on the BOI.. Now i feel the need to tell them about your reptiles too.. And Sean your a grown Man.. Why are you attacking me personally, On the way i look? Not very professional on your part Sean!! My father was joking around...How about i bring up some of our old conversations about your reptiles?. I don't even live in an Apartment...So good try... As for my Kennel for him.. Yes he SLEPT in a Kennel...All day when i was home he was out and about,Going for car rides,walks..He was my child.
You gave me the size of the cage... And I'm sorry Sean but that's not acceptable for a Coati.. He isn't a Ferret. He needs AT LEAST 6'x6'x6' and that's minimum..And your only feeding him grapes and strawberries,turkey and hamburger? wow.. Maybe you need to do alittle more homework on these guys.. I thought you knew what your where doing..I guess not.. Your not professional AT ALL..And you assured me you knew what your where doing!

__
I'm sorry but this guy is a real Dirt Bag.. Judging people on how they look, Doesn't affect the way that they take care of their animals...He also told me gonzo was going to be used for educational shows...How are you gonna educate people on an animal that not even He can take care of.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
this is the link.. on him..that i found and posted on.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97294&page=17&pp=5&highlight=Sean+Kirk+Sean%27s+Exotics">http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/ ... 7s+Exotics</a><!-- m -->

See now I know him.I first got ina fight with him about him keeping a Tegu and a nile monitor together in the same tank...If any of you guys remember that..it was a while ago.. He post on Craigslist.com all the time saying he is a Exotic animal rescue and that he does Educational shows.. Which is a LIE..the only Exotic animal he has is Gonzo..im sorry but they guy is a dirtbag

ChristopherDayton

5 Year Member
wow I couldnt help but read through that whole BOI... awesome!!! haha he has been big in the bizz since he was 10 or 11! what an amazing dude! lol and he still cant read a care sheet :)

CoexistExotics

5 Year Member
This is so terrible that this happened to you. I have been forced to adopt out animals, and regretted it in the future, but never have I gone through this. I am so sorry, Lexi. I hope things turn out for the best.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Since apparently someone decided to bump this thread, why not (ask for an update.)
How has this situation panned out?

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I havnt talk to that scumbag, dont want to. that man can rot in hell for all i care.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
aww. poor Gonzo :( he should destroy that mans house and poop in his shoes every chance he gets lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029