• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

wild crayfish?

nicklotz

so i have a stream in my backyard, when i was younger i used to love going to explore and catch all the crayfish and local fish i could catch, now that i have one juvie black and white tegu, (hopefully another red or black and white at the manchester show on sunday) can i catch these crayfish now and feed them too my tegu? i was thinking maybe id have to cook them just to get some parasites off them? anyone ever try this?

montana

If you have a good supply of crawdads to my mind you have it made !!!

I would freeze them for nothing more than convenience sake [may also help with parasites]..

Down the road some have your Tegu checked for parasites and worm as necessary [should be done anyway] ..

Life isn`t very good when you are a crawdad and most you catch will be young animals and not overly infested with parasites in my opinion ..

If you discover a problem don`t do that any more ...

nicklotz

no kidding, thats a great idea to freeze them especially if i can catch a good amount and save them for the colder months, thanks!

Draco D Tegu

I wouldn't see why not either. Like montanna says, freeze them. Should kill off most parasites (but not all, some do go into a spore state).

I'd worry more about catching parasites from something that doesn't wear its skeleton on the outside of its body :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff