• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Whole prey vs home processed meatballs

Deac77

5 Year Member
Whoe prey>meatballs 100%

Whole prey is a complete meal with no need for supplements.

Meatballs are lacking a large amount of vitamins and nutrients on top of a extremely low calcium level. The amount of "powder" needed to make up the difference is crazy and you end up with a chalky meat ball. Also the fluids lost during the grinding/cleaning process leak out a lot too

Anthony Camire

Do you guys use calcium supp. on whole prey...? I do it with my beardies and have been flinging it every other day with Eris. She's been eating 2-3 hoppers a day... And what about. Vitamin powders?

MickJagger

I agree with whole prey, even for hatchlings, I'm not the most experienced person, however just by pre-killing the whole prey, your guaranteed to have a happy healthy tegu, as long as the whole prey has some nutritional value that is, BUT DONT FORGET TEGU TREATS! All tegus deserve treats :tegu:

Roadkill

5 Year Member
It isn't so much that one is better than the other, it is more that most people don't take the time and effort to understand creating a balanced diet, they want a quick and easy solution. Hence whole prey is more preferred because it is usually a more balanced option with less effort. However, both can have their drawbacks.

Deac77

5 Year Member
You name it I feed it.

Quail, rabbits, mice. Rats, chicks, shrimp, crawfish, hamsters, Guinea pigs, still born snakes, lots of whole fish, anything I can get my hands on.

Anthony Camire

Last night we made up some meatballs with sweetbreads from 5 different species. (Were hunters) 5 eggs ground and pulverized bone from beef, pheasant and turkey. A container of blueberries and 9 large strawberry.. Both are her favorates

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus