• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

when feeding F/T or pre-killed...

Jason

5 Year Member
does your snake ever skip the whole wrap up and constrict step???
this seems so weird to me. each one of my snakes has done it atleast once. they just start swallowing...

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes I have had snakes that didn't bother constricting. I guess at some point they realize they don't have to kill it.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It depends how I offer the rodent, if I just drop a thawed in a tub and move out before they pickup on my body heat they usually don't even strike, let alone constrict. I most often dangle the thawed meals in front of them until they strike though, in these cases they do wrap up but it doesn't take them long to realize it's dead and start nosing their "prey".

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
My kingsnake used to do that, as did my cornsnake. My python and boas usually constrict for at least a little bit before eating.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
My snakes are all really different. My boa, she never constricts she's more of a sit the mouse down and back away human kind of snake. Even when i do the whole zombie dance, she just waits for me to leave.

My burm on the other hand will constrict it even if i just sit it down, she always goes for the extra kill.

My bps both will change up, one day they constrict,then they just eat it. I think i know why my BP's do this, when i offer small rats they mostly just eat and when i offer medium rats they constrict.

Some snake's are just so use to f/t.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
JohnMatthew said:
It depends how I offer the rodent, if I just drop a thawed in a tub and move out before they pickup on my body heat they usually don't even strike, let alone constrict. I most often dangle the thawed meals in front of them until they strike though, in these cases they do wrap up but it doesn't take them long to realize it's dead and start nosing their "prey".

x2 Sometimes I'll tease them a bit and wiggle it while they constrict

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bubblz Calhoun said:
JohnMatthew said:

x2 Sometimes I'll tease them a bit and wiggle it while they constrict

The old tug 'o war game is a great way to get some of the more finicky eaters into the mood. I'll do this too sometimes when a picky snake needs to build some feeding enthusiasm. It usually does the trick and a less than enthusiastic snake turns into a killing machine with a vise-grip to match! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980