• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Whats a good big snake

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Life insurance. :mrgreen:

These snakes have been outlawed in some states and unfortunately may be nationally soon.

Why not get a nice female BCI or BCC?

herper9

5 Year Member
I've got two burms. They are great as long as you have the right set up and are ready to pay the price for food. Super docile though. As long as you have the proper respect for them they are not that dangerous.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I will, again, suggest an Argentine Boa. They have even temperaments, are very pleasant to look at, and the females can get quite large. Eventually you will not be able to transport a Burm or Retic to your presentations without having a half dozen people to help you. A sweet 10 foot Argentine Boa will still produce that WOW! that you want from your audiences, and is reasonably easy to handle and transport.

reptilerookie

5 Year Member
i would go with a burm but thats because i owned one before he was a pretty good snake never had a problem with him he was very laid back

Sakara

5 Year Member
If you are looking for a larger snake but don't have any giant experiance, I would suggest a large species of boa, or a dwarf retic or male burm... My burm at 10 feet COULD kill me, lol... Just make sure you start with a baby...

Beazer

5 Year Member
Honestly lol I hate bein the party pooper but I really turn down people askin for "good" big snakes. But thats because after working at a petshop Ive seen tons of people dry dropping off their big snakes/getting rid of them (ive literally had 6 people in 1 day drop off burmese pythons). So, I agree with the earlier post, get something like a boa. Something rare so you dont take it for granted.
Burms and retics are awesome animals to work with, but I dont like the idea of keeping a snake over 16ft in a cage, I just feel kinda bad. Indian pythons are notorious for their "pissy" attitudes but are very cool animals. The only down side with them is that theres a lot that are crosses that people sell by misrepresenting them as Indians, Sri Lankans for that matter and on top of that, any pures you find are under CITES I so you will need permits to have them shipped to you unless you have an in-state breeder. The price is expensive on the Indians as well, but its worth it for a really rare animal.
'Normal' Bci you might get bored of, but if you get something like a Boa c. longicauda you might appreciate it more or a B. c. amarali. Dumerils are definitely cute and fine looking animals. I dont know many people who have given theirs up. Maybe even go for a carpet python? They sometimes are a bit nippy as babies but with some handling they calm down. Bredls are a bit more "chill" and docile. Whatever you choose I hope you enjoy it. Nobody knows you better than yourself. Best of luck to you, lol.

-Jon DeLong

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sakara said:
don't be a whimp Dave LOL!!! j/k ;)
I'm not kidding!!! She sometimes does the "snake handcuffs' think where she wraps both hands and them puts pressure (not wraps) on my neck. Twice I've had to run to my wife to get her off (the snake, not the wife) because my head was getting fuzzy. :yik

Sakara

5 Year Member
lol :D hehe... I know those snakies can get pretty thick O_O I've never had a problem with mine though, thankfully, lol... I'm not worried about my boas... The burm on the other hand... yea... she's not a neck hanger, LOL

KSTAR

5 Year Member
I would have to agree with beazer on some of his points. I've had lizards for years before keeping snakes And then I began to keep snakes later on which was about 3 years ago...I recently had to change up my living situation so I had to give up my lizards...which was pretty sucky...but I know only keep snakes since they are less money to maintain and require less space...but it all depends on what snakes your keeping aswell...I love all animals but rat snakes and milk snakes are not me..ball pythons and retics and burms is my cup of tea :lol: and out of all my snakes I just recently got my first dwarf retic and he's the monster of the group. He's only 27 inches long and about a inch thick and he's always hungry :shock: and if I fed him a mouse everyday I think he'll take it with no problem but I feed him 1-2 times a week and he's doing great so far. In my couple years of keeping I must say that in my point of view retics and burms are very similar cause retics have very strong feeding responses and burms are not far away either but you can get a burm that will be your own little rat garbage truck! My burm ate 2 medium rats twice a week at one point in time while my retics were eating one rat weekly and the burm will tend to be a bit fussy due to hunger but she slowed down later on...at this very moment all I have now is my dwarf jampea retic I no longer have my burms which were 3 albino burms and I no longer have my other retics which were 2 het albinos and 1 regular phase and 1 albino white phase retic...and no more ball pythons either because I wanna focus on just this one little guy due to future breeding with two buddies of mine...he's gonna be mated to a female albino lavender and a female albino purple so I hope everything goes great but over all I've Always handled them and aswell cared alot for them and made sure they were always fed and warm and had clean water and had some play time and I don't feed live so I've been pretty good with they're attitudes so as long as your willing to put 110% into whatever your gonna do it'll be a great experience but you will need Space and fat pockets later on because they only get bigger and eat big Aswell... ;) but there's also blood pythons and carpets and dwarf burms and dwarf retics and also super dwarfs and boas like dumerils and sunglows which are great looking so just look around and figure out what catches your eyes...good luck :roon

herper9

5 Year Member
I do have to agree with Beazer as well. I have a buddy who owns a reptile rescue and he's told me before people always try to dump off burms and even boas. Though nothing like dumerils, carpets and the like. You may want to try bloods or if you can find them Child's pythons. Big snakes do take a lot of money to keep up, (recently spent 200 for about four to six months of food). And although they tend to be pretty chill, we all have to remember that they can kill you. Every time I go into my burms' cages and pull them out, I know in the back of my head, "This animal can kill you." Luckily neither of them have even shown an inkling, but like with hots you can't become complacent. If you are going to get a "big" or "giant" snake find one in a rescue. And you better hurry. That python ban sounds like it is going to pass.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980