• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

what UVB light do you use?

preston897

i know i ask alot of question but i am just trying to make sure i am going to do everything right BEFORE i order my tegu. do you guys use MVB? or repti-suns? or a combination? i was thinking about using a Mega-ray MVB w/ a repti-sun 5.0. that way im not over doing the UVB by using a 10.0 with the MVB

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
You should go through the forums before asking these types of questions. They are full of these topics and answers already. It's good that you are being proactive and want the best for your tegu. I will let you know that I am using a Powersun 160w and a ReptiGlo tube that is 10.0 uvb which has a flood light next to it for heat. My tegu has 2 spots to bask. The powersun (which provides heat and uvb), and under the strip/flood light (combo for heat and uvb)

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
preston897 said:
yea i could not find anything about that in the forums. i just dont want to over do the UVB

Gotcha, well if you have a long tank, it is best to have 2 sources because sometimes your Tegu would rather lay on one side of the tank rather than the other. This is why I have made 2 basking spots. Also have a hide so they can have the option to chill in the shade (this hide isn't to displace a cool side, just give the tegu a warm place that isn't in direct "sunlight." Mine often likes to lay under her slate rock hide to get out of the light, then goes back out. Then at night time, she burrows under the substrate. always in the same spot all the way on the right side of the tank, where the powersun is located.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
That's a big tank for a hatchling. I have mine in a 4 ft long 60 gallon tank. She is almost 10 months old and around 17-18inches in length. I have an 18" tube in the middle with the flood light, and the powersun all the way on the right resting on top of the screen, which has aluminum foil surrounding the open areas of the screen and circular hole cut out for the powersun to shine thru...

Keep in mind, UVB needs to be within 20 inches of the Tegu for absorption of Vitamin D. This also will take multiple assessments to make sure the temps will be adequate. I bought a ZooMed HygroTherm to regulate my humidity and temps. I have a ZooMed ReptiFogger for humidity which turns on and off regulated by the HygroTherm, and I have the flood light connected to the HygroTherm as well just in case the tank reaches the upper limit that I have it programmed to. I don't have the powersun or UVB strip plugged in to the HygroTherm because I want these on all day. All my stuff shuts off at night because it's plugged into a power strip which is connected to a timer. The HygroTherm and ReptiFogger aren't cheap but to me, they are WORTH IT!

Here are links to the HygroTherm and ReptiFogger. Google them to find the best deals.
HygroTherm:
http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...lZ29yeSI7czoxNzoiV2F0ZXIgQWNjZXNzb3JpZXMiO30=

ReptiFogger:
http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...lZ29yeSI7czoxNzoiV2F0ZXIgQWNjZXNzb3JpZXMiO30=

:yik *Don't ask why those links extended way off the page. Just click em.

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
preston897 said:
yea it is going to be a 6' cage. would you reccomend using a 4' light or a 2' one for the tube light?

Also, after my last post I was thinking, depending on how your cage is set up,
it MAY BE easier to remove and replace 2 2ft strips rather than 1 really long 4ft strip.
Just something to think about.
Good Luck.

preston897

you are very right. i didnt think about that. i will have to do that then. and as long as i make sure i have a few good hides i wont have to worry about too much UVB?

KSTAR

5 Year Member
i use the rept-glo 10.0 uvb long bulb and also a power sun bulb so he has uv althrough the enclosure....is this ok?

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
As long as they can hide from the rays when they so choose to, then they are fine. But if they are laying in the same spot continuously that isn't in range of UVB, then they aren't fine, which is why it is best to have wide range of rays.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me