• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

what substrate do you use?

preston897

im trying to figure out what i need to put in my cage once i build it. i have heard alot of differant ones you can use. what have you had good experiences with? what does your tegu like? and of course what holds humidity well?

isdrake

5 Year Member
I use a mix of soil and hummus. I think it works pretty well. I will be using a mix of soil and sand in the future though because it will be even easier for the Tegu to dig (I use of for our bearded dragon and it's works really good).

I have never had any problems with the humidity. But maybe I add more water than I would need if I used cypress mulch instead. But my mix it and future mix is toxic free, works good for digging and looks good and natural. :) So I'm happy with it.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
FOR ACHILLES I USE CYPRESS' AND FOR PYRO I USE PEAT MOSS BOTH HOLDS HUMIDITY PRETTY WELL BUT THE MULCH IS FAR BETTER THAN THE MOSS, HOWEVER THE PEAT MOSS HOLDS BURROWS BETTER!

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
I use for the adult Tegus the cypress mulch and for the hatchlings I use the coconut fiber ( they come in bricks ).

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY BUGS IN MINE. HOWEVER IF I DID I WOULD SIMPLYBAKE IT AT 400* FOR 5-10 MINS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me