• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What kind of snake should I get?

burke0000

5 Year Member
Hey im going to the floridad international reptile expo this weekend in Orlando. Im want a mid sized python or boa, not too big. Ive been looking at Brazilian rainbow boas, jungle carpet pythons,womas and dumerils boas. I think I want a rainbow. I would appreciate any recommendations or comments on the snakes I listed or other cool snakes, thanks!

Zach

Gx3

5 Year Member
I absolutely love my blood python, but of the snakes you listed I would go for the rainbow boa as well, they're pretty even tempered and look really nice.

Nero

5 Year Member
If you get a jungle carpet python just be prepared to get bit several times!!! They grow outta it after they get older but when they are babies they arent the nicest snake in the world.

Magik

5 Year Member
I found the one I had was very calm had a bad habit of rleiving himself on a friend of mine who liked handling him!Had a great feeding response though!

Nero

5 Year Member
Yeah my JPC has a very good feeding response, they are known to be picky eaters like ball pythons. She just is a pain to get out I try to handle her 3 times a week she seems to be getting a little better but shes very alert and they are fast!!! DOES NOT like to be petted at all. I'm getting my male JPC next month I hope hes nicer than her.

Magik

5 Year Member
well mine was a male but any females I have handled and seen have been calm but as you said they are very alert one quick move with my guy and you were getting tagged end of story.Great snakes gotta love the carpet pythons!!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We have a Dumeril Boa, she's got a good personality and will probably top out at 7 ft, not too big. We also have a Brazilian Rainbow Boa, they have a big WOW factor, she'll probably top out a 6 ft. Womas are HOT but too expensive. A nice Carpet is a little more than half of that price, but they can be mean. A baby BRB will run you about $150, more snake for your buck!! You just have to be more careful with your husbandry. Don't get a Columbian Rainbow Boa, they brown out!!

I vote BRB!!

Nero

5 Year Member
Yeah I dont think the Columbian Rainbow Boas are pretty when they mature I would go with the BRB. I cannot wait to get mine!! JPC's are one of my favorite snakes I just cant wait till they grow. How is the temperment with BRB's when they are babies?

Magik

5 Year Member
I got a nip off a small one but the rest I have seen were fine but I have never kept them, so????

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nero said:
How is the temperment with BRB's when they are babies?
They are said to be nippy when young but we've had no problem Other than once (at about a year and a half old) she bit & wrapped my hand just before feeding her, then she looked like she wanted to kill me for 2 week. When we bought her at the show, the vendor was wicked busy so he threw 2 cups of baby BRB's at us and we handled all of them without a problem.

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
Hmm.. I've heard a lot of nice things abouts carpets, and rainbows are really pretty. In my honest opinion, if you're just looking for an easy-going pet snake, and you have the room, i'd get any kind of "Boa Constrictor"... Most get pretty big, but even a big female isn't THAT difficult to handle.. And, if you get a male it probably won't get big enough to give you any difficulty.. This is assuming that you have at least some snake experience, though. They also grow pretty slow, so if you got a baby you'd have plenty of time to get used to the size. I just think Boas make awesome "pet" snakes if you're okay with the size. I've got an 8 or 9-ish foot female Columbian BCI, and she's like a big lazy puppy dog.. But, what exactly are you looking for in a snake? For beauty i'd get a BRB, for a good "pet" i'd get a BCI.. Depends what you're looking for in a snake.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
CaseyUndead said:
Hmm.. I've heard a lot of nice things abouts carpets, and rainbows are really pretty. In my honest opinion, if you're just looking for an easy-going pet snake, and you have the room, i'd get any kind of "Boa Constrictor"... Most get pretty big, but even a big female isn't THAT difficult to handle.. And, if you get a male it probably won't get big enough to give you any difficulty.. This is assuming that you have at least some snake experience, though. They also grow pretty slow, so if you got a baby you'd have plenty of time to get used to the size. I just think Boas make awesome "pet" snakes if you're okay with the size. I've got an 8 or 9-ish foot female Columbian BCI, and she's like a big lazy puppy dog.. But, what exactly are you looking for in a snake? For beauty i'd get a BRB, for a good "pet" i'd get a BCI.. Depends what you're looking for in a snake.
I was going to suggest a BCI also. We bought a male Suriname Boa (BCC) a couple of months ago. They are supposedly not as hardy as a BCI but the tails are amazing!! He'll probably top out at 7 ft but it's going to take a while.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
AB^ said:
I've always liked spotted pythons.

I have to say. I am with AB on this one. The Spotteds are really cool. The Childrens pythons are very cool also. The price on these snakes aren't really bad and I beleive they will be the next big seller as the larger pythons start to slow down in popularity. The JCP are cool but they aren't a good hands on snake. If you wants snakes you can enjoy. I'd go with the smaller pythons or Boa species.

BCI are going through a lot of pricing issues so . I would wait and let the prices settle down some before I would buy one of them.

I read in one post that they expected their male BCC to get 7 ft. Well that is totally wrong. Male BCC get 10 to 12 ft. and females can reach lengths of 16 ft. or more. I have personally seen an 18 ft. BCC. She was around 20 years old and was a sheer monster of a snake. BCI are the smaller boas to get. The Dwarf Boas are really cool to get into. But they are way high priced.

But the Spotted and childrens pythons are still affordable. But given time their prices will shoot through the roof. A person who can get them breeding and doing well will have a jump on things.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980