• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

What have we gotten ourselves into.....

Non Crimen

Happy New Year to you and yours!!
Our family pick up Owen on Wednesday. He's a seven month old Red Tegu. He is presently being housed in a 29 gallon aquarium while we find someone to build him his new enclosure (7footx4footx28inches). We were going to build it 8x4x4 until a cabinet maker suggested we measure our doorways. 29 inches wide.......
Many questions, many. This site will help I'm sure. First question I have is, everyone who signs their name and then lists all their stuff. Kinda like:
1.0 Wife Paula
1.0 Son Nick
1.0 Daughter
1.0 Daughter
1.0 Hamster
2.0 Himalayan's
1.0 Bullmastiff Deuce
1.0 Red Tegu Owen
Not sure what the 1.0.1, or 1.1.0 represents, please enlighten us.
Owen seems to be adjusting well. (Un)Fortunately we have Captive Bred Specialties about a mile from our home. Of course one of our son's classmates works there and our son came home all excited about purchasing a Panther Chameleon until we started to do our research. The store also sells lots of Bearded Dragons and the employee's said they were hardy and were great first lizards.Then we saw Sergio. He is the store's "pet cat". A B&W male that weighs 22lbs. Apparently spends a good deal of his day out of his enclosure crawling around entertaining/scarring their customers. The owner even said he takes him to birthday parties and school events. Seemed intriguing. Back home, more research online (found you guys). So back to the store and now the fun begins.
1 Red Tegu $249.00
Supplies for one Tegu: $99.49 (bedding, lights, hide, etc.)
Food: What? 100 crickets?? Calcium powder??? Eats chickens???? (what about cats and hamsters?????)
Custom made enclosure: quote of $700-$900 (furniture quality)
Good divorce attorney: $5,000
Best part is our son, who will house Owen in his room will either be in college, the Marine Corps. or prison in 4 years. (life span of 15 years? you do the math!!). Perhaps his Marine platoon will need a mascot.
I really guess the only other question I have is the amount of food per day. We are currently feeding about 10-15 crickets per day along with some sardines, fruits, and yesterday he had a small mouse. Added the calcium powder as well. Sound about right?
Happy New Year!! and please pray for us.............

Carlton
.25 cents to anyone who can figure out Non Crimen (latin, not reptile related)

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The first number represents males, second females, third(when applicable) unknown. So, 1.2.4 would be 1 male, 2 females and 4 unsexed. When there aren't any unsexed being represented the last period and number is typically excluded. So, 2.1 would be 2 males and 1 female. If they're all unsexed you have to use all 3 numbers and both periods or risk confusing the unknowns with males. So, 0.0.4 would be 4 animals of unknown sex.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The number system 1.2.3 refers to the quantity of and the sex of the animal you are listing.

For example:

1.2.5 blue tegu refers to 1 male, 2 females, and 5 unsexed.

John said it, never mind my post, haha.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As for feeding, your tegu is young and growing at such a rate that overfeeding is nigh impossible. I'd feed as much as he'll eat at least once per day. Here is a list of foods you can try with him, variety is the spice of life.
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=6452#axzz1i9QB3Zvs

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The numbers indicate male, female, unknown.

1.2.2 would be 1 male, 2 females, and 2 unknown.

I would build the enclosure taller than 28". I did that for the same reason and once I added lights and substrate realized 28" is too short. You can make it in 2 pieces 8*4*2 and 8*4*2 and "stack" them. I have a 6*3*3.5 that is built this way. My tegus cage is 8*3.5*3 and I have to keep it in the dining room because the sliding glass door is the only way to get it in the house.

jondancer

Ditch the crickets, feed him food from a plate, much easier . I raised mine on ground turkey. Cost a few dollars a week. Good luck with your new tegu.

Virus

Welcome indeed!

You will need to post the obligatory pictures of this tegu of yours.

Also, I am curious where you are getting some furniture quality caging from? Most likely from your local area, however if it is from a website, I would greatly appreciate a review/comments.

Non Crimen

daveyboy7 said:
not crime? keep the 25c i think u need it with that house full :)
rango 11 tegu

Close Daveyboy7

Not
Guilty
Virus said:
Welcome indeed!

You will need to post the obligatory pictures of this tegu of yours.

Also, I am curious where you are getting some furniture quality caging from? Most likely from your local area, however if it is from a website, I would greatly appreciate a review/comments.

Hey Virus, we have a friend who's grandpa enjoys woodworking and he offered to make Owens enclosure. The quote I received of $700-$900 was from a cabinet maker here in town. He estimated $200 for materials and one day to construct ($500 labor). Maybe I should have become a cabinet maker...........
Hopefully our friends grandpa is cheaper.

Non Crimen

Non Crimen said:
Happy New Year to you and yours!!
Our family pick up Owen on Wednesday. He's a seven month old Red Tegu. He is presently being housed in a 29 gallon aquarium while we find someone to build him his new enclosure (7footx4footx28inches). We were going to build it 8x4x4 until a cabinet maker suggested we measure our doorways. 29 inches wide.......
Many questions, many. This site will help I'm sure. First question I have is, everyone who signs their name and then lists all their stuff. Kinda like:
1.0 Wife Paula
1.0 Son Nick
1.0 Daughter
1.0 Daughter
1.0 Hamster
2.0 Himalayan's
1.0 Bullmastiff Deuce
1.0 Red Tegu Owen
Not sure what the 1.0.1, or 1.1.0 represents, please enlighten us.
Owen seems to be adjusting well. (Un)Fortunately we have Captive Bred Specialties about a mile from our home. Of course one of our son's classmates works there and our son came home all excited about purchasing a Panther Chameleon until we started to do our research. The store also sells lots of Bearded Dragons and the employee's said they were hardy and were great first lizards.Then we saw Sergio. He is the store's "pet cat". A B&W male that weighs 22lbs. Apparently spends a good deal of his day out of his enclosure crawling around entertaining/scarring their customers. The owner even said he takes him to birthday parties and school events. Seemed intriguing. Back home, more research online (found you guys). So back to the store and now the fun begins.
1 Red Tegu $249.00
Supplies for one Tegu: $99.49 (bedding, lights, hide, etc.)
Food: What? 100 crickets?? Calcium powder??? Eats chickens???? (what about cats and hamsters?????)
Custom made enclosure: quote of $700-$900 (furniture quality)
Good divorce attorney: $5,000
Best part is our son, who will house Owen in his room will either be in college, the Marine Corps. or prison in 4 years. (life span of 15 years? you do the math!!). Perhaps his Marine platoon will need a mascot.
I really guess the only other question I have is the amount of food per day. We are currently feeding about 10-15 crickets per day along with some sardines, fruits, and yesterday he had a small mouse. Added the calcium powder as well. Sound about right?
Happy New Year!! and please pray for us.............

Carlton
.25 cents to anyone who can figure out Non Crimen (latin, not reptile related)

3150ump.jpg

2d9xrvl.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont