• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Weight gain

Karl H

I have a few month old Columbian and I was wondering what the best way for weight gain is. Honestly I want to basically get him as big as possible as soon as possible. His current staple is just ground turkey with calcium powder. I'm still not sure if this is a dumb question or not

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Sorry, but this is a recipe for disaster: rapid growth with supplemented meat diet. Rapid growth means extra stress on the skeleton, which means needing a properly balanced diet. Typically, most people going the ground meat with supplementation are rarely meeting the needs of regular growth, let alone trying to rapid growth. Be patient, slow growth is healthy, don't endanger your pet's health with the urge to have a big reptile
ASAP.

Karl H

Thank you for the reply. I understood that there are some health risks. By 'as big as soon' I meant in a way that is healthiest. Its my understanding that Rex would be fully grown in 2 to 2 ½ years. I'm just trying to knock off a few months.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can't rush perfection. If you want to have a perfectly healthy animal, you have to do things the right way and sometimes that is the slow way. There are no shortcuts. Sorry, but it's the truth. Try varying the diet a bit to ensure you get maximum and most healthful growth. Beyond that, lots of exercise will probably help.
Sorry to burst your bubble but you will enjoy your pet much more if you have realistic expectations and don't try to force solutions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu