• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

vitamin d3

Aiion

james.w said:
Were you providing UVB? How big was he when he passed?

Yes I was. I don't know how big she was when she passed. I never measured her. I was told that it takes 4 years to get to adult size. That they could be brought up to adult size in a year but this causes fatty liver disease and death within a few years, so I just enjoyed her and figured she was growing at her own rate. She did have UVB.

The first thing that a vet will ask when a lizard has her symptoms is if they have UV. The second question is "are you using a Calcium supplement that contains D3?"

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wouldn't accept a diagnosis of Vit D poisoning without a blood test with Vit D levels. What actual happens is hypercalcemia. Vit D and calcium work together and Vit D is a sort of gatekeeper. Too much Vit D allows too much calcium in the system which results in over calcification of the organs. Balance is the key in the diet. If you are providing the diet and lighting for a reptile, you have to be very aware of how much calcium, vit D, UVB that animal is receiving. it isn't that that the animals gets too much Vit D or too much calcium, etc. Most of the time it is that things are out of balance. There is too much D and not enough calcium. Or too much calcium and too much D. Or too much phosphorous and not enough calcium or D. I use calcium and D with no problems at all. However, I don't use cod liver oil or other supplements with D and I have plain calcium to alternate with if needed.

Dana C

I may have added this earlier and I apologize if I did. A great source of calcium carbonate are egg shells. I save the shells when I have eggs myself or scramble them up for the Tegu's. I dry them for three or four days or until the membrane is completely dry. Then I use a coffee grinder to powder the shells and use the powder liberally on my T's food. I use a reptile calcium powder with D3 about once a week and blend a little Herp vitamin powder when I pre-prepare my turkey / liver/ gizzard portions.
It seems to work well and my vet, who has a working knowledge of reptiles thinks that it is a good way to supplement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus