• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

UVB range/output question

HandsomeJack

5 Year Member
We're planning on using a UVB strip light (Reptisun 10.0) in our new tegu cage and we would like to mount it on the inside back wall of the cage about a foot and a half above the substrate. The question we're wondering about is if the placement of this strip light would allow an adequate amount of UVB rays to reach the bottom of the cage since the light will be mounted to the side wall.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and suggestions.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They rays will be projected at you, not the Tegu. The fixture should have a reflector to concentrate and reflect the rays, effectively doubling the output of the bulb. If there is a plastic cover over the light, it will filter the UVB rays, so you need to remove it.

HandsomeJack

5 Year Member
Here's a photo of the actual strip light for reference:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c103/Walking_Cannabis/Picture421-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c103/ ... e421-1.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Since the bulbs are circular (strip light bulbs) and not directed in any certain direction and since the strip light has no sides to direct the beams wouldn't the UVB output be equal in all directions?

I can see how the top bulb might be blocked off a bit by the bottom bulb but would this be a huge issue? Or am I overlooking something with this whole idea?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Almost none of the output of the top bulb would reach the Tegu. Maybe half from the bottom bulb. Florescent bulb have very little useful output at 18" as it is. They're best at 12" or less. Mounting it above the Tegu WITH a reflector would be best as long as the Tegu can get within 12" of it. Or use a 100W MVB which is still good at 24" (but NOT less than 12"), a 160W about 30" (but not less than 15").

HandsomeJack

5 Year Member
Oh, okay, I see. Thank for all the help. Our other idea was to hang a dome lamp with a Reptisun 10.0 power compact bulb in it. We'll also have a dome lamp with a heating bulb in it. Would this be a sufficient lighting set-up or would a MVB be significantly better?

[EDIT]

For instance, would I be able to use just a 160watt MVB as uvb/uva and heat? Or should it be used with an additional basking spot lamp right next to it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu