• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

UVB or Flourescent bulb?

preston897

im building a 6x3x3 cage for a tegu. on was side i am using a Megaray MVB. i also want to light up the other side of the cage. my question is could i just use a regular flourescent bulb since i have the Megaray or should i use a UVB buld like a 10.0?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i personally use the reptiglo mvb lamps and i also use the reptiglo 10.0 with it for nero and achilles and will be doing the same for pyro when i get him a bigger enclosure! but since your using a megaray i would go with a 5.0 just to make sure they get uvb when they are not basking!

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
Use UVB tubes all the way across. I plan to use two-2 foot long tubes in my 6x3x3 when it's put together. Not a 4 foot long because it'll be easier to manage smaller tubes without risking them breaking by clumsiness. Hey preston, I can't believe how many posts you have made in such a short time being on TeguTalk. You must be really excited about Tegus! Glad you are so proactive!

preston897

i should even use uvb tubes on the side where my MVB is? and i am super excited. me and my girlfriend are getting one soon! probably within the next 2 weeks hopefully. i just want to make sure i have all the info i need to give it a happy healthy home. and as of now im just getting a few last minute things together as i start building the cage. i actually just got all of my wood tonight. and i am about to start it.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
preston897 said:
why is it that you use the reptiglo lamp over the mega ray?

well from what i have seen they are both good lamps(megarays are a lil better) and both put out nice uvb but the megaray cost nearly $100 and i only pay $25-29 for the reptiglo's!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol heck no, and with 8 reptiles depending on uvb thats a lot to spend on lamps lol!

Adam87

5 Year Member
Im going with reptastic on this one, I've been using Repti-glos for all my reptiles and i've never have a problem. Plus you can buy the fixtures at walmart for like $10 haha

preston897

yea i will go with the reptiglo. then im going to get a double fixture for the tubes. and in one of the spots ill put a 10.0 but since they are not very bright ill put a regular flourescent bulb in the other slot. i think that will work out good. what do you guys think?

preston897

reptastic the specific light you are talking about is the exoterra solar glo right? its the same people who make the repti glo tube lights

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu